Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out for a ride tonight, and way home the rear of the bike started dog tailing all over the trail any time I gave it some gas. Then while going through some mud I noticed the rear right wheel was not spinning.

After getting home I gave it a check over, and the rubber boots didnts seem to have any holes or cracks, and when I pushed the bike forward the axle still spun.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:cowboy:

·
Registered
745 Posts
Possibly stripped splines on the axle, or the aluminum wheel hub.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to have to pull the wheel off tonight, I'm more hoping it is on the outer hub side than on the inner side of the axle. Would make for a quicker tear down and fix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so it seems that I broke my CV joint, hence my issue.

Here's a couple pics of it. It seems that I got a tear in my rubber, a bunch of water and who knows what else got in there, and the cage that holds the ball bearings in the CV joint broke, and all the ball bearings apparently were lost somewhere on the trail.

What's left of the CV joint looks to be in good condition, are you able to just replace the cage, bearings, and the rubber boot? Or would that just be asking for trouble soon down the road?

·
Registered
745 Posts
I'd replace the whole joint. Rebuilding may not last long if there's much wear on the inner and outer pieces.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts