Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the clutch on my wifes ATV blew up, and I do mean blew up. It essentially disintegrated, dont ask but it IS my fault. I have searched and read that it is best to buy a NEW Polaris clutch, but I do not want to spend $500 or more for it. So with that in mind has anyone used either of these clutches? The Atv is totally stock, no mods other than a K&N air filter. The Comet clutch looks nice, and I do realize that EBS will not work with these clutches. I would buy a used clutch but they are not very much cheaper than a new on I listed.

Thanks,
Shane

Polaris Sportsman 500 Primary Drive Clutch 1996 2011 Brand New | eBay

Polaris Sportsman 500 2000 2001 2002 2003 Comet Drive Clutch 218875A New | eBay

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
None of the inexpensive after market clutches are any better than the one ones. The oem Polaris primaries are asking best cut systems out there. If you buy new get the newer version with the smooth bearing. I can get them for about $450 pn 3122555 I believe it is.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nothing abnormal really. Crossing a deep water hole and having to stay on the gas pretty hard, and Kapow! When I bought the ATV it had 27" tires and 14" wheels with a 2" lift. The previous owner changed the spring in the clutch for a higher take up, so who knows if he messed up anything beforehand. I took the lift kit off and put stock wheels and tires on it but left the clutch alone.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Must have Been some damage like cracks in the shelves or something like that. It's happened before and most I see from that era have cracks or other damage that make them unsafe to run.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts