Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started my 4x4 after it has been sitting for 2 weeks and then oil started falling on the floor from the airbox drain hole. Took the air cover off and restarted engine to watch and then oil started to get pumped into the airfilter box, what is going on?, It is about 20 degrees out but I run and drive this at much colder temps then that and never had oil in the airfilter box.??:thinking:

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
my guess is that since your airbox has 3 different breather lines that go to it, one of them is probably connected to the crank breather. it should have a one-way check in it but being 9 years old there is a chance somebody has removed it. your best bet would be to run the machine and watch were the oil is coming from, and follow the tube to where ever it leads, that will at least get you started

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes blueline15 I will have to do that, will remove some plastic follow the hose, I think it gos to the top of the oil reservoir. the hose that pews the oil is the left side one as you are sitting on the atv

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
yeah i might just be pressure vent for the oil resevoir. if it is the left side as you are sitting on it then on the fiche is shows a one-way check filter inline there...should see if you still have one

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I still have the check valve in place and it seems ok. I have noticed that now my oil tank is way to full of oil, like the oil pump is pumping oil into the tank but it is not draining back into the engine (oil Pump) maybe a plugged oil feed line or something like that. I do know it is way to cold in my garage to mess with it now.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
yes, that is a very good possibility that an oil line is plugged. its a little cold huh? haha dunno where in minnisota u are but im in michigan right now and it is uncomfortable to be outside longer then a few minutes. if i can help you in any way just let me know

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello

I am having the exact same problem with my Polaris Sportsman 500 HO. Did you ever figure out what the problem was with yours?

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
I am having the exact same problem with my Polaris Sportsman 500 HO. Did you ever figure out what the problem was with yours?
Make sure it is not overfull of oil or gas in the oil. The carb float can stick and put gas in the oil. The wrong oil will cause this. Always use 0W-40 Polaris or Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil. Oil capacity is usually 2qts. If none of the problems listed is the cause take a look at the exhaust lobe on the camshaft. It could be worn out and cause this problem also.

·
Registered
9 Posts
hello, i have a 2000 sportsman 500 and im rebuilding the top end due to a blown head gasket. i just replaced it a few weeks ago but i didnt know there was a oil check valve hidden behind the belt casing and it blew it again by not letting oil into the motor but instead pumping into my air box. i was curious if i had to replace the head bolts when i replace the head gasket?

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
I would reuse the old head bolts.

·
Registered
900 Posts
i dont have to worry about the bolts being streched?
Bolts do stretch with repeated torque, but if the bolts have only been taken off a few times, don't worry about it.

Kevin

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've had to take them off 3 times just since ive had it.. i baught it broken and basically rebuilt it from the ground up so god only knows how many times before i owned it.. ive replaced everything except the crank and block

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Does the oil smell like gas, the needle valve can get stuck open and gas will dilute the oil and fill the crankcase and being overfull will get pushed into the air filter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
no gas in the oil, carb was rebuilt by local shop in jupiter fl, there pretty good.. oil level is right. i know why i blew my head gasket again was because the oil check valve was bad and when that happens it doesnt open to let oil go into the crankcase but instead goes in the air box.. i just need to know if when i rebuild the top end(again) should i replace head bolts? they have been taken off 3 times just since i baught it.. what should i do cause i dont wanna have to do this again for a long time!

·
Registered
900 Posts
If you're worried about it replace them, that's the best way to do it. There can't be many bolts anyways, not much cost, do it.

Kevin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts