Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 sportsman 6x6. I am getting gas in the crankcase, any suggestion greatly appreciated. Thanks, Gepp

·
Registered
503 Posts
Have you checked the airbox for gas too? If the float bowl vent is plugged (or the tube leading downward from it) and the needle and seat are leaking, gas will overflow up through the carb throat either forward to the engine intake or rearward to the airbox, depending on the angle the carb sits at. Gas flowing forward into the intake will flood the engine (and can hydrolock it in extreme cases) while gas flowing rearward will flood the airbox. Depending on where the engine breather tube enters the airbox, gas could flow from a flooded airbox through the breather tube to the crankcase. Just a couple of thoughts... Good luck. - MarkC

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
7627, thanks for the instant reply, i just pulled the carb and i would like to rebuild it. Any suggestions where to get a kit? Also would like to know how to disconect the choke cable from the carb. I figured out the throttle allright but the choke has me stymied. Thanks again for all the great advice. Gepp

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hmmm. The choke should be the easy one. The cable end has a hex head that just threads into the hole in the carb. The end of the cable has a spring loaded metal cup with a rubber seat that should just come out with the cable. It isn't connected to anything inside the carb. I've been buying carb kits from a couple of eBay vendors and always keep one on hand in case I need it. - MarkC

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
marc, i have the carb off but do not know what model it is? its a mikuni 5ol10a e071 Engine is a 499cc, engine # is eh50ple-06 appreciate any help. Gepp

·
Registered
298 Posts
talk to fix my toys asponsor here, I believe he has a kit for your carb

·
Registered
503 Posts
gepp, you can easily look up OEM parts on this site: Polaris Parts, Polaris Snowmobile Parts, Polaris ATV Parts, Polaris Ranger Parts, Polaris Accessories at wholesale prices

Just use the pull down menus for the year, model and view you want. As for carb parts, dealers sell individual parts so you might not need a complete kit. Getting a complete kit is easy though, either at the dealer or from a vendor. Most of the 500's take the same one. You can easily find one on eBay by using your year model, 500, and carb kit as key words. There are some vendors that support this forum that are eBay vendors too. Good luck. - MarkC

1 - 9 of 9 Posts