Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to forum (awesome BTW) and Polaris as well. I bought a gently used but tired 500 that has a few issues.

I was riding it when it backfired once, then died out on me. It would NOT start no matter what I tried. The battery died out on me before too long. I recharged battery, cleaned out carb, cleaned terminal connections, etc. It will still not crank. What gives?

The speedo and hour meter don't work, but headlights work fine. Any ideas?

Also, the pull handle will not recoil back into case. How do I fix this?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Check starter voltage and fuel system...

Check your fuses.First thing, if all is good with your fuses go to the starter and check your voltage comming from the battery should be 10.5 to 12 volts and then check your fuel filter maybe some dirt got into the fuel lines...make sure you have good flow and check the sparkplug also...goodluck and let me know,how you make out...MUDDIE49

·
Registered
6 Posts
It sounds like you are having a similar problem that I am having with my 01 500HO. Try and unplug the speedometer and see if it runs ok. I just spent all day with a similar issue (backfiring & stalling) and my speedo wasn't working either. Finally I unplugged the malfunctioning speedo and it starts & runs perfect. Not sure if a new speedo is going to solve my problem or if the problem is farther down the line? BTW now my tail light/brake light does not work with the speedo unplugged.
Let me know if unplugging your speedo allows you to start your machine.
Not sure about the recoil, I haven't had a problem with mine.
Good Luck
Bruce

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ran out of time to deal with this on my own; broke down and took it to dealer. I am so ashamed of myself LOL.
It has several issues which are now being fixed...factory winch recall (free), crank pull internal pieces missing (?!?), and a jacked up carb. Damage is $588 to my wallet!
I will post more after I get it back later on this week and I will post what the final bill actually was...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sometimes there are too many thing that are over our heads and going to the dealer will fix it properly (most of the time) and get us back out riding instead of fixing.
Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts