Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 01 sportsman 500 HO that ran real good last hunting season. Got it out to check every thing before going to woods. I store it under my deck so it does get moisture on it, not a down poor of water but some. I notice that when I started to back up it felt like the belt was slipping then in jerked into reverse and back out from under the deck. I mashed the reverse override button and it would hardly move, so I put it in low forward and same thing. I did not smell any rubber burning like the belt was slipping ( I replaced the belt about 16 months prier to this). I tried reverse again and same thing, hardly moving. After doing this a few times it started working. I washed it and thought I would try riding it around in our development and it would hardly move, keep trying it with no smell from the belt and it finally started working. I rode it around for awhile and it done fine. After it set for a few hours, same thing, hardly moving then after a little bit it runs like nothing is wrong with it. Got any Ideas.
Thanks
Phil

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Do your wheels rotate freely? Parking brake off? Sounds like you have a rolling resistance issue.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Take the belt cover off and see what's happening.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Yea jack the rear tires off the ground, remove the belt cover, start it up and see if the clutches are moving the belt up and down like they are suppose to. Kinda weird that it works on and off like you describe. BTW Make sure your in 2wd if you only have the rear wheels off the ground!!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Before you rip it all apart definitley make sure your caliper isn't locked up. My locks up sometimes 02 500 and it has been in the garage since I bought it new.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
275 Posts
Had to replace my rear caliper and master cylinder this year. The piston was stuck for the rear pedal in the caliper. Up till than never had no brake problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts