Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I had at a toren cv boot inside rear replaced both, I can not get the shaft to stay in the rear end, I have beat the s--- out of it with a 3lbs. Hammer and 2x4. I have also replaced the clip (ring) on the inside end of the shaft,I am at the end of my rope ,3wkends. And counting. It falls out after I have put it all back together.I am hopping not to have to go to a dealer.Does anyone have an ideas on what I may bee doing wrong?

·
Registered
251 Posts
i there something jammed in the hole that is stopping the shaft from going in all of the way?? how hard was it to get the shaft out of the rear end?? I have only had my front shafts out so not really familiar with the rear end, but it sounds like it is not going in far enough for the clip to seat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It came out easeier than I thought it would, from what I have read. Right, so how do I get it to seat? Like I said I beat the s--- out of it. I can see into the hole nothing is in it. Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just had to replace the boots on my rear last week. You need to install the c clip in the joint then slip the shaft in, it only took a thump with a rubber hammer to snap it into place, the clip should seat in the groove on the shaft.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
is there a cir clip on the tranny spline end..if not why it wont stay in....and maybe why so easy to get out....

you will see a grove on the splines..it should nave a circular clip in it...thats what holds it in

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Did you get the clip from Polaris? or is it after market. Ive had to take the original off of old axle and put on new axles to get it to stay.

·
Registered
251 Posts
even if the splines are wore, that clip should hold it in,, the rear end may spin around the shaft if there are no splines, but it should stay in the rear end. maybe it was a bad circlip,, not sure, grasping at straws here...is there a way you could measure how far the axle is going into the rear end,, mark it with a white pen or something, and look for some specs to see if its going in far enough. When i put my front end back together, all I had to do was push the axle in and I could feel it go into place.... are you splines clean?? if they are a little dirty at the ends it may not be goin in all the way

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
To day I tried to get the axle shaft to stay in the rear end, I marked with some anti-seiz and found out that it is going in all the way, I put a little on the splines of the shaft, as it went in the anti-seiz was pushed back to the plunger cup and left a ring. I olso measured from the back of the cup to the wheel side of the cir-clip its about 15/16" and the splines on the inside of the rear end are close to the same. I can't help but wonder what held it in ther before. Is there a shaft that is a little longer on that side of the shaft. Could the cir-clip be rolling? If there was about a 1/16" I think it would stay in. I can't believe that I need a hole new axle shaft. Just for a torn cv boot. Thanks again for your input

·
Registered
251 Posts
though you could be asking for more problems, have you tried switching it with the other axle from the other side?? or are they interchangeable?? or even try a new cir-clip....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think they are interchangeable, by as you said more problems? But it might be worth a try. I am not getting any ware the way I am going at it , but I'll have to order a new boot I tore one of the new ones yesterday ,I do not know how,(The cir-clip is a new one.) I even thought about putting the old clip back in. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
251 Posts
if you read thru that link i posted, some guys are getting square cir-clips, not sure from where, but that may be worth a try as well....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts