Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Sportsman 500 HO. My current issue is no spark at all. None with turning the key or by pulling the pull start. Removing the cutoff wire doesn’t change anything.

New plug, new plug cap, wire, ignition coil, tried different CDI, still no change.
It was running just a few days ago but suddenly no spark after I was doing some cleaning and adjustments with the carb. I don’t see how the carb could have affected or changed anything, so must be some wiring that went out or died.

All lights, the fan, the starter, everything else I checked get power and run just fine. Battery is new and fully charged.

I have a voltmeter but am still fairly new on using it. I checked resistance and voltages based off other forum posts I could find and things have been checking out from what I can see. I just have no clue why it’s not getting a spark. Any help or ideas are appreciated.

( Some background: This atv was sitting for a while, probably 9 ish months from what I understand. Cleaned up the carb and new battery got it running. Wouldn’t idle but realized that was due to the throttle cover had the two ends touching on the wire when idled so killed it. Adjusted that and it was good.
Ran decently, though still not great. Spark was weak so new plug, cap, wire and coil and it was running much better. Then started running poorly, fouled plugs and only wanted to run with the choke engaged. Found a jet plugged in the carb so that is why I had the carb removed and cleaned and new jet installed. Was starting fine and running fine at this point while I was doing carb adjustments. Then it just stopped, and now absolutely zero spark. This is where I am at now. )

·
Administrator
18,797 Posts
No spark with the black wire unplugged from the CDI unit? Need to get a peak voltage tester and test the output of the pulse coil and the CDI charge coil of the stator - most common problem is a failed stator, pulse coil or flywheel magnets and don't rule out a sheared flywheel key as the cause of the problem - if the stator has good output, the peak voltage neter may be used to check the CDI output and coil output.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Black wire removed has no change. I don’t have a peak voltage meter so I might have to pick one up. It’s just so weird as it was literally running before pulling the carb and putting it back on. Super frustrating.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it makes a difference, the other CDI I tested was the rmstator ac to dc conversion one. So It’s suppose to bypass something, stator maybe, but could still be bad pulse coil? Not sure. All I know is neither setup gave me spark.

What is the chance my spark plug cap/wire went bad? Though if it did go bad it wouldn’t still show the correct resistance though, right?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok so I have a sportsman and the guy we bought it from used it in a hunting club for years and I had to put in a new stator along with a voltge regulator and battery and it ran fine no problems we to it on a small trail ride a water pump was going out so it was put back on the trailer and when we got home to unload everything it had little problem starting which it didn't start like that before and we parked it go to crank it up a day later and it would just turn over so we took the spark plug out and went to see if it had spark nothing I have checked the Throttle assembly and the points we good i took off the Speedo it didn't help i pulled the kill switch wire nothing it has a new ignition coil because the old wire came out the boot so we decided to replace it along with a new spark plug still nothing any ideas

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
13,341 Posts
Ok so I have a sportsman and the guy we bought it from used it in a hunting club for years and I had to put in a new stator along with a voltge regulator and battery and it ran fine no problems we to it on a small trail ride a water pump was going out so it was put back on the trailer and when we got home to unload everything it had little problem starting which it didn't start like that before and we parked it go to crank it up a day later and it would just turn over so we took the spark plug out and went to see if it had spark nothing I have checked the Throttle assembly and the points we good i took off the Speedo it didn't help i pulled the kill switch wire nothing it has a new ignition coil because the old wire came out the boot so we decided to replace it along with a new spark plug still nothing any ideas
Font Line Window Pattern Automotive exterior
to the forum
Ball Automotive lighting Vehicle registration plate Font Gas

From the Official Forum Greeter, be careful of the other imposters.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts