Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2002 500 has no response with key turned to start. With key in on position, will start and run with pull starter. Starter works if key is on and hot-wire wire to solenoid. Have: low beam, hi beam, cooling fan, power at accessory outlet, 12v at handlebar switch. DO NOT HAVE: key start, reverse override, AWD, tail light, stop light, kill switch on handlebar (key turns it off just fine), speedometer. Battery powers winch just great for snow plowing. Battery voltage is over 11.5v at all times. Key switch has proper continuity for each position. Do not have volts at "B" on key switch, "B" supplies power to "A" during start position. Have volts on "D", and therefore, "C". Have power and/or checked voltage through all three circuit breakers.
As I said, if I bypass the key switch, with key in on position, and apply battery voltage to coil wire at solenoid it will start and run just fine. Still without the aforementioned functioning items.
I've downloaded the repair manual (which is awesome) and printed out the electrical schematic, but am out of ideas for tracing voltage and continuity. I've traced continuity through the AWD, reverse override, hi/low beam switch, and handlebar kill switch and they all appear to function correctly for their position.
I've read a TON of posts, but have not seen a problem exactly as I've described. (Nor any solutions!)
Oops, forgot to mention I also do not have reverse nor neutral lights on console!
Thanks in advance for any help!!!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wiring problem solved

My last resort was to start physically tracing wires from the "B" terminal on the key switch. I knew the "23 r/w" wire was good to the acc. pod, so I started following the "24 r/w" wire. I got just down into the area under the headlight assy. when that wire and a brown and a black wire exited and went to a wire loom headed toward the left handlebar assy. It looked like the wires were broken! Pulling the wires proved all three were broken!!! Since the ends of the wires were rusty I think some time in the past someone crimped all three and they just decided to let go a couple of weeks ago! I spliced them all where they were supposed to go, with a lot of slack, and ,walla, everything worked:).
Since I had opened the 20 amp and one 10 amp "breaker" pouch, I bought two dash mount fuse holders and installed them on the right side of the plastic at the head light pod and spliced those wires into the fuse holders. I now have fuses instead of those "breakers", hopefully that will not come back to haunt me.
Thank God I did not have to go very far in the wire looms to find the problem!!! Where the wires were broken was out in the open and not near any pinch points, etc.
Nothing like having AWD and reverse override!!!!!!!!
Hopefully this may help someone else.
Happy riding, --- Above 9000 ft.!!!

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Good job! Wiring problems can be a real pain... Glad you got it fixed. : )

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
When you get time....would love to see some pics of your quad. We love pics around here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts