Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
newby here.\just bought 2002 500 and it left me and my 3 year old son in the woods. My wife came to the rescue and I got a tow home.(thanks tom)
Seems like it is getting flooded? after an hour it started right up.....anyone have any ideas? this is my first quad and I have no idea where to start looking.
Thanks for any advice,
Brad mac

·
Registered
601 Posts
Were you getting spark? also it maybe a carb problem..stuck float..and how did it run before you got stuck...we need alittle info...MUDDIE49

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
welcome to the board!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It ran great before it died.Runs great now. Ir runs great if you are going balls to the wall but if I putt around on trails in the woods with my son after about a mile or 2 it will sputter and die.Crank and crank but wont fire up. 1/2 hour later it will start and be fine again....

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Try a new sparkplug .

·
Registered
2 Posts
newby here.\just bought 2002 500 and it left me and my 3 year old son in the woods. My wife came to the rescue and I got a tow home.(thanks tom)
Seems like it is getting flooded? after an hour it started right up.....anyone have any ideas? this is my first quad and I have no idea where to start looking.
Thanks for any advice,
Brad mac
I had the same problem. Got some bad gas out of a jerry can and had to clean the carb and replace the filter. hope this helps

·
Registered
4 Posts
Overheating?

Maybe overheating,

Think about it if your running all out you have a lot of airflow through the radiator, just putting around not so much. This would explain why an hour later it runs fine. Check to see if the fan turns on when it should or at all. I wired mine to be on at all times or, you could replace the thermal switch at around $60.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts