Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm really near the end of my rope here. I have a 2002 Polaris 500 HO RSE.

The issue: Once warmed up (not cold) half way through the throttle range it acts like it's overfueling and hesitates. I went though the fuel system treating the symptom unsuccessfully unitl I checked the timing. At the same time it starts hesitating the rpm's drop by half and the timing light flickers erratically.

From what I understand the ignition fires twice, if this is the case then my question is does it do this all through the throttle range?

So far I've switched out the coil/cap, spark plug and cdi box, no difference. Compression is good - 85 Psi, 60 Psi on the first crank.

It has also been pointed out to me that it could be going into 'limp home' mode due to perhaps an overheating condition. Are these machines equipped with this?

I'm desperate as I need the quad for hunting next week. I appreciate any insight or perhaps a thread where this may have been covered before. Thanks, Andrew

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Have you Ohm tested the stator cold and immediately when it starts to act up and compared the measurements? Yes they have a limp mode if overheated. You can also ohm test the temp sensor and see if it is bad.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks! I'm unable to check the specs until my boss comes back into town with the manual tomorrow.
In the meanwhile, I went over everything again and ended up removing the carburetor and adjusting the float tab way up to encourage a lower float level, I installed it and the quad ran great, tons of power but the very top end sputters.
After it cooled down I ran it again and it sounded the same as before the carb adjustment but way worse, got even worse with the choke closed. I allowed the engine to warm up to operating temperature and it was mostly good again.

Before I messed with the carburetor today it was the other way around. I had full throttle when it was cold but it got worse as the engine warmed up.

I'm really confused, does anyone have any idea? I think there's still an electrical issue but perhaps leaning it out is masking it (once warm).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts