Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 700 sportsman that currently will not start. I had the same problem a few moths ago and it finally started and has worked since them. Recently it go left out overnight and then would not start the next morning or since then. The plugs have spark. Any ideas where I should start would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
And welcome to the board!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it is turning over fine. It has been cold lately. Also as I have stated it was starting great until it was left outside overnight on a cold night. Since then it has been in the garage but still will not start.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
^^^yeah, thats what im wondering, if it wont start now after being outside of a night i am thinking you have water in the fuel now.

try sucking and draining all of the fuel out, put fresh fuel in, and try to refire it. and when you try to restart it, spray some contact cleaner, brake cleaner, or starting fluid into the intake to help it light up. once the engine lights, keep feathering the throttle to get all the new fresh fuel into the carb.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I pulled the plugs again this time. Checked for spark and don't have any. Have new plugs, put them in and still no spark. Any ideas. Last time I had this problem I checked the spark and had it. This is the first time I have checked it this time though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay guys. I have pulled both plugs and no spark to them. Looks like both plug wires run to the CDI box under the front headlight. Do we think that could be where the problem is coming from? Is there anwhere else in this system that could be causing this, fuses ect.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the help guys. Finally got the time to troubleshoot the problem. It turned out to be the CDI box. Just replaced it and starts like a champ. Thanks again for all of the help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts