Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
11,138 Posts
Its not too bad but there are some tricks to it. There are some pretty good videos on youtube and below is the link. He's working on a Ranger tranny but its the same as yours. He drops the ball on getting the shift gear and detent pawl and star lined up correctly but otherwise its pretty good. If you get that far, PM me and I'll walk you through how to install the shift gear and stuff.
If you don't mind my asking, why do you think it needs rebuilt?

Side X Side World :: View topic - Polaris: Ranger Transmission Rebuild Video's.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It's either a bearing or a gear shelled out in the tranny. I haven't pulled it out yet due to other jobs that need to be done around the house. But from the way it sounds and acts the tranny just spins except for a second or so when something catches in the housing and it will move just a foot or two then grinds( maybe not grind but get in a bind ). I think the main problem was a lack of oil and this caused the tranny to overheat and break something.

Thanks for the link Polman500

·
11,138 Posts
Yeah, you've got something out of whack. Have you drained the oil into a clean container and looked at it? Will it work in any gear or does it do the same no matter what gear is selected? The reason I ask is if the shift gear and associated parts don't push it all the way into H the tranny will get between L and H and could act the way you describe. It will just spin like its in N.

·
Registered
376 Posts
That design sucks the shifter housing get's corroded inside and after awhile it's very hard to shift, when i bought mine it was frozen solid!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wish it was that simple of a fix, but I believe the pinion bearing shattered. I was doing about 45mph down a county road when it hesitated for a couple of seconds then picked back up. Then I drove another 150 yrds and then it locked up the rear wheels and started burning up the belt. From Reverse to High it just burns the belt, and no neutral. Also 4wheel drive won't spin either.

·
11,138 Posts
Yep, that'll take a complete going through. You'll just have to get it apart to see what all needs replaced. You may get by with just a couple bearings and seals. Keep us posted.

·
11,138 Posts
I'd get it all apart and make a shopping list first and then browse evil bay for any gears. For new seals and such, I've found Cycle parts warehouse hard to beat for prices and quick delivery. If you actually have gears to replace you might come out better money wise with a used tranny. I have one with low miles out of a 06 800 that should work.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From what I can tell on prices for gears it would be cheaper to get a used trans off of e-bay, one main gear that I need is 400 + for it alone.

I have model 1341343

1 - 11 of 11 Posts