Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a clutch for my 2002 Sportsman 500. I've found the part number for the assembly is 1321706. I've found some new ones, but they are quite expensive at $420.00. I've looked up the model list on Polaris for machines with the same clutch and am looking for an exact, but used replacement.

What I'm unclear on after searching these forums and google is, will a 2007 sportsman 500 clutch fit my 2002 model?

Thanks for any insight, or pointers on where I can look this up.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Any year 500 clutch will fit your machine. A 400, 600, 700, or 800 will fit as well with the correct spring and weights in it. You just need to get an EBS one if you have EBS and want to keep it. Why do you need to replace the old one?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is my old one:

I had taken it to a Dealer and they quoted me $1400 to replace it. That's where the rust came from, they sat the parts on top of it in the rain.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I remember looking at this last night. Wow! Yep....time for a replacement. Check with tt425 on this site. I bought a used clutch from him for my brothers quad and it was a good one. He might have what you need.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys. I'm on the hunt. I've only had this machine for about a year and primarily use it during deer season. I don't mind putting a little money in it, but don't want to waste it.

Clinebo, is that the Warn brush guard/winch mount in your Avatar?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Dam! I hoe that didn't come apart while you were riding it. They changed the one way bearing in about 05 like mentioned. So if the new one you get has the smooth bearing instead of the grooved one, run the belt for that year of 500 and you will be set.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I'm on the hunt. I've only had this machine for about a year and primarily use it during deer season. I don't mind putting a little money in it, but don't want to waste it.

Clinebo, is that the Warn brush guard/winch mount in your Avatar?
Yes it is. I bought other lights for the bumper. The Warn lights that fit the cutouts are 35/37 watts. These are 55 watt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got a clutch off of eBay. Installed it today. Works like a champ. Rear wheel bearings tomorrow.

Here is the old clutch bolt next to the one that came with the eBay clutch:

Looks like the old clutch demise is probably due to corrosion. It's been wet in there.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
900 Posts
I hope you checked the used clutch for cracks in the moveable sheave. Most don't check that when they buy used clutches. They won't hurt the operation of the clutch but might cause what happened to your old one.
I may need to get a new clutch also.....they are expensive!

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
If you are buying a new clutch, go to the newer version ebs with the smooth center bearing and the newer model belt. Smaller diameter beating gives a lower gear reduction at launch for more low end. I use p/n 1322555 when I change them out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got one out of a 2007. It does have the smooth bearing and I replaced the belt with the correct one. Anything else in particular to look out for?

Thanks for the help and guidance!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Not sure what's wrong with the old clutch???!! A tac weld here and there it will be okay!! lol

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I got one out of a 2007. It does have the smooth bearing and I replaced the belt with the correct one. Anything else in particular to look out for?

Thanks for the help and guidance!
07 should be the same clutch, just need to go to the 07 belt. Other than that, check the washers on each side of the bearing to see if they are worn out or worse, gone. Bushings, rollers, weights and weight bolts for unusual wear. Sheaves for any cracks. They start in the center and work their way out.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a 2001 Sportsman 500. I have the primary clutch off. When I squeeze it by hand it squeezes easy but hangs up when sliding out. There are grooves wore in the faces. I am assuming it's time for a new drive clutch.

2007 Clutch - pt # 1322555

What is the corresponding belt number?

This thread is several years old. Is there a better option than the 2007 drive clutch?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
The belt should be the same as always for the machine. Unless you are changing from an EBS to non EBS clutch. The physical size of the clutch itself is pretty much all the same between the models. The difference will be in the weights and main spring for the engine and transmission combination.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts