Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2002 magnum 325 4x4 in a trade, the guy said it will start and run for 2-3 seconds and die . sometimes it will backfire out the exhaust .
This is what I've done so far , replaced plug, cleaned carb, checked and adjusted valves, unplugged black wire to cdi box, replaced stator and I just ordered coil and cdi box .
Has anyone had this issue or any ideas what might be wrong ?
A little background on me , I was a skidoo Tec for 7 years and been to school for just about every small engine ever made so I know a few things about motors . I work as a millwrite now on do this kind of stuff after work for a hobby . Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Compression is be fine. Spec is 50-90 with the decompression system. How much fuel is in the tank? Have you tested the fuel pump? When the fuel pump on my 325 quit it would run fine with a full tank but as the fuel level dropped to around 1/2 or lower. It would starve for fuel and die. If I let it sit for a while enough fuel would trickle into the carb that it would start again. Then run out since gravity wasn't enough to keep up with the demand.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fuel is not the issue, plug gets fouled wet. Will start for 2-3 seconds even if you put gas in carb , choke it whatever. fuel is flowing good from pump. It sometimes backfires bad if you crank it long enough.
I need to look into the exhaust , I'm thinking it may be plugged as I found a nest in a few other places.
I will take that apart tomorrow and see .

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Ok, so fuel pump isn't the issue. Maybe too much fuel. I just had one doing the same thing in my shop. Didn't run for but a few revs of the crank. Turned out the main jet needle was bent at the tip so it didn't go into the main jet and meter fuel at all. Same thing though. New carb kit by the owner then when he couldn't get it to run he brought it to me. He did everything right, just had a bad part. Pop and fire then no go with a wet spark plug.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so fuel pump isn't the issue. Maybe too much fuel. I just had one doing the same thing in my shop. Didn't run for but a few revs of the crank. Turned out the main jet needle was bent at the tip so it didn't go into the main jet and meter fuel at all. Same thing though. New carb kit by the owner then when he couldn't get it to run he brought it to me. He did everything right, just had a bad part. Pop and fire then no go with a wet spark plug.
I checked the needle and it was in great shape, seating as it should so that is not the issue . I took the exhaust off today and tried to start it , same deal starts for a few seconds and dies , backfires sometimes and still won't run .
Got a new cdi box and coil coming soon .

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
I checked the needle and it was in great shape, seating as it should so that is not the issue.
I think the main jet needle that stave is talking about is the slide needle (see key #3) if the needle gets bent it may not allow the slide to drop and the jet the needle seats into dumps an excess amount of fuel into the air stream at small throttle settings - is the needle you checked?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes this is the needle I checked, it was seated just fine , not bent and in great shape

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m looking for a service manual for this machine, does anyone have one in pdf they can send me ?

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
I have the PDF of manual 9917198 - covers 2002 325 & 500 Magnum

Just message me your email along with a hint of which manual you are requesting

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update, changed the cdi box nothing , changed the $8 coil runs mint . Oh well everything is new now lol

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
So it's all fixed! Great news!!!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So it's all fixed! Great news!!!!!
Yes it’s running fine and I did a service on it , the only thing I have left is the oil cooler hoses. I looked on eBay but they seem really expensive, are the ends regular hydro hose fittings? They look like it and I have a place to get them local .

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’m really impressed with the power of this , I had a sportsman 500 and I loved it . This machine seems to go really good and has a lot of low end power, I will have to see what the top end is like .

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Yes it’s running fine and I did a service on it , the only thing I have left is the oil cooler hoses. I looked on eBay but they seem really expensive, are the ends regular hydro hose fittings? They look like it and I have a place to get them local .
By 2002 both the cooler hoses were the same size. They really are nothing more that a pressure hose so if you have somewhere local that can do it, there isn't any reason to buy the OEM ones. I had a failure on the trail so I updated my 2001 machine to the later 2004 and up oil cooler and braided lines. More expensive, but I don't have to worry about an oil cooler failing again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I want to put a set of 10” sportsman rims on the back , will they fit ?
This has 12” rims in the back now and I need to get new rear tires . I was thinking the10” rims would give me more side wall and a better ride than the 12” if I’m replacing them anyway. What are your thoughts and will they work on the magnum

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just put heated grips, led lights,seat cover and a winch on . I used the red white acc wire to hook in my hot grips and grounded it to the frame, now it dies in rev unless I hold the over ride button and the 4x4 doesn't work ??? The leads are long enough to run to the battery so I'm going to try that tonight. Is that red white wire hooked somehow into the 4x4 and rev limiter box causing this issue ?
I looked at the wire diagram and it looks like it ,would this cause that issue?
I tried to hook the ground to the purple wire and the rev light lit up when I turned the hot grips on so I grounded it to the frame and that stopped . so I'm thinking I'm Going to hook directly to battery .
Has anyone else had this issue ??

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
Red/wht is switched 12v DC and has nothing to do with the ignition - and brown is ground - the ignition is AC and not connected to the battery - wiring in DC accessories will not affect the ignition or running on the engine unless you manage to inner-connect the AC and DC circuits in which case you may damage one or the other.

The purple wire is 12v DC for the reverse light - using it as a ground wire for accessories will #1 turn on the reverse light when the accessories are on and activate the reverse limiter and AWD control by making it think it's in reverse.

Connect the ground for each accessory to the frame or a brown wire.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Red/wht is switched 12v DC and has nothing to do with the ignition - and brown is ground - the ignition is AC and not connected to the battery - wiring in DC accessories will not affect the ignition or running on the engine unless you manage to inner-connect the AC and DC circuits in which case you may damage one or the other.

The purple wire is 12v DC for the reverse light - using it as a ground wire for accessories will #1 turn on the reverse light when the accessories are on and activate the reverse limiter and AWD control by making it think it's in reverse.

Connect the ground for each accessory to the frame or a brown wire.
Ok so I wired it right, I’m wondering if the rev limit box has given it up , does that have anything to do with the 4x4 not working? I read somewhere that that is one of the symptoms if the box is going .

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
If the reverse limiter is a problem, it can affect the AWD because AWD does not work in reverse unless you press the override button. To remove the reverse limiter from the equation, just disconnect the black wire from it - if it can be unplugged, just unplug the black wire only- if it is in a gang plug, clip it far enough away from the plug that you can rejoin it later - you will still have to press the override button to get the AWD to work in reverse, but the engine will run just as fast in reverse as forward.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts