Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I just picked up a 2002 magnum 325 4x4 . It will start and idle for about 3 seconds and die , sometimes it backfires. I have cleaned carb,fresh gas,New plug, checked throttle switch, unplugged rev limiter and checked valves.
Tonight I took off pull starter and found a lot of rust, some metal on pickup coil and it was very dirty in their. I also saw some cracks in the stator epoxy.
My question is would the mud,dirt,rust and metal inside this area cause this problem and if I clean this up and check the gap on the pickup coil will this solve my issues or at this point should I just swap everything out now ??

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Cleaning will not help - to test for a weak spark, close the gap on the spark plug to about .015 and see if that helps - if not, connect a timing light ad see if it stops flashing as the engine dies - if it does, replace the stator

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have tried to close the gap , didn't help. Going to try timing light next . it has great bright spark now but didn't think of a timing light .

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
If the stator coils or primary coil is heating up and changing resistance, you can lose spark after running for a while. If you have a peak voltage tester, you can check the voltage of the coils cold vs hot - if the voltage changes 20% or more, then the coil needs replaced. You have to test the stator coils first and if they pass, then test the primary coil. If you test the primary coil first and the output of the stator coils drops, then the output of the primary coil will drop also. If the stator coils pass and the primary coil output drops, then the primary coil is bad. You could measure resistance, but the resistance will change as a normal part of operation (changes with heat), but the voltage output remains more constant than the resistance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the stator coils or primary coil is heating up and changing resistance, you can lose spark after running for a while. If you have a peak voltage tester, you can check the voltage of the coils cold vs hot - if the voltage changes 20% or more, then the coil needs replaced. You have to test the stator coils first and if they pass, then test the primary coil. If you test the primary coil first and the output of the stator coils drops, then the output of the primary coil will drop also. If the stator coils pass and the primary coil output drops, then the primary coil is bad. You could measure resistance, but the resistance will change as a normal part of operation (changes with heat), but the voltage output remains more constant than the resistance.
I can only get it to fire for a couple seconds so this test will not work for my problem. I understand what you are saying.
Mostly I was wondering if someone else has run into this issue before with it only starting for a few seconds the dyeing.
A little back ground on me , I worked at a skidoo dealership for 8 years and been to school for almost every small engine ever made. I am currently a millwright and work on these type of things as a hobby but know what I am doing .
I ordered a new stator and pickup coil from Ebay this morning for $70 , anyone have any issues with ebay stators ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts