Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got the statr message recently. Last ride the battery was totally drained. This of course made the display go dead as well as odometer. Also couldn't get AWD to engage. And cooling fan would not come in. This sucked as I was 20 miles from the trailer.

I was able to jump start the quad and it seemed to run fine minus the aforementioned issues. I did leave the jumper cables hooked up for about 5 minutes to give some juice in the battery. The display did work for a short time until the battery was drained again.

Problem is I'm not sure what to test. Most of what I have read on stators is there is no spark. Obviously I get spark just fine. Not sure if there is a battery issue as well (previous owner did tell me the battery was bad but I have been using it all summer - though I have had the battery icon on the display all summer as well.)

On a side note the quad has 5k miles, have no idea if the stator is original or not.

Any help/ideas would be great! If I do need a stator would like opinions on OEM vs aftermarket. Seems to be a huge price difference but not sure if getting an aftermarket is wise.

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently acquired a 2002 Sportsman 700 Twin and am having similar problem. Battery symbol flashes most of the time, although less so after charging the battery, and the StAtr message flashes most, but not all, of the time. Also, since replacing the speedo sensor on the right front wheel, it logs miles but does not log hours. Since the battery still takes a charge, might I assume that the stator needs to be replaced? Could that solve all of the problems? Is there some way to test the stator? Could there be another electrical part like a regulator or the Ducati box behind the speedo that needs replacement? Just received a service manual ordered off eBay, but it's still a bit Greek to me. Suggestions?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts