Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2002 polaris magnum 325 2x4, but for some reason its been to bogging down and power isnt what it used to since couple months ago, when i give it gas it makes a voovoomvoomvooomm noise then it goes normal when just going a normal speed. it also feels like the power isnt what is used to, Today we changed the oil and put a brand new oil filter. the oil is "diablo maxima oil 250cc" even though its a 325 but dont think it really matters, its still feel the same powerless bogging. Also when i drive a lot in hot tempertatures or just going trail riding i never ever hear the fan. or who knows if its a really quiet fan but i never hear it. it seems that it is connected but it doesnt seem to turn on. any help?

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
No the oil is not making a difference - depending on exactly what it's doing, it could be carburetor or clutch issue - fan is not an issue unless it overheats.

My CRF250X Honda did not come with a fan - it was a $300 option - I have ridden it since 2004 and never overheated it - it didn't need a fan and your does need a fan as long as a sufficient amount of air passes through the radiator.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No the oil is not making a difference - depending on exactly what it's doing, it could be carburetor or clutch issue - fan is not an issue unless it overheats.

My CRF250X Honda did not come with a fan - it was a $300 option - I have ridden it since 2004 and never overheated it - it didn't need a fan and your does need a fan as long as a sufficient amount of air passes through the radiator.

I find it weird becuase i was riding the polaris all fine today with no issue, but out of nowhere i was just riding and i noticed that the motor just wanted to stop but i kept giving gas and it wasnt going anywhwere and just shut off. It woundnt want to turn on anymore,Rope Pull start or ignition start woundnt work. so i just put neutral (cvt not a manuel) and was pushing it home, 1 minute later it still wouldnt start. 2 minutes later go by from pushing it finally started with no problem. It was very weird. after that i rode with my cousins for like 1 hour in dusty bumpy trails no problems (keep in mind its very hot and bumpy terrain. i park it for a hour then it starts to rain very hard. after it stopped raining thier was huge puddles. i was driving in the big puddles and no problem then i go through another puddle and i feel it bog down tremendously. i could give as much throttle but wouldnt move. but luckily i was going fast that i had time to get out the huge puddle and turned off (puddles that are like 8-10 inches deep) i waited like 30 1 minute and pushing it again and then started right back easily. Why is this happening? its literally turning off in the middle of driving. thats really unsafe. what could this be? the oil is meant for 0-250cc motors and the polaris is 325cc. could that cause anything? we also put a brand new oil filter. it does run slighty better but it doesnt matter if it turns off out of nowhere. it has turned off hundreds of times but that was becuase the battery was bad and the atv in complete stop. but it has a new battery now and now turns off completey different. what could it be, cleaning the carbuertator? air filter? i have very little mechanical experiance which is why im here. im 16 so im still not that good in mechanics

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
After your last post, it sounds like an electrical problem - now the ignition system is not dependent on the battery - the battery is just to run the lights and electric starter - since is would not pull start (and I presume the engine was not tight and turned over just fine with the recoil starter), I suspect an adjustment or short in the kill circuit.

First, assure the throttle cable is adjusted correctly - incorrect adjustment may cause the engine to shut down.

If throttle cable adjustment does not solve the issue, disconnect the black (kill) wire from the CDI unit - you will not be able to stop the engine and the reverse speed limiter will not limit speed in reverse with the black wire disconnected - if the problem is still present, then it is probably an ignition system component, faulty ground or wiring connection problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts