Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my speedo stays on whenever I shut the key off, even when I shut off the handlebar switch. The screen with the key on is perfectly normal, if I turn off the key it says hdlbr and stays on. Please Help.. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
What happens if you shut off the handlebar switch first and then shut off the key switch? Does the engine stop with the handlebar switch?

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
If you shut off the engine with the handlebar switch and then turn turn off the key switch, does the display stay on?

If it does, check to see if there is 12v on the red/wht wire anywhere you might find one - if there is 12v on the red/wht wire with the handlebar switch in the stop position, you have a faulty handlebar switch. In the pic below you will see that the switch connects the red/blk wire to the red/wht wire when in the run position - when switched to stop, it breaks the connection to the red/wht wire while making connection of the blk kill wire to the brn ground wire which kills the engine, but if the red/wht wire stays hot, its because the switch is not breaking the connection to the red/wht wire. If the red/wht wire goes dead when the handlebar switch is turned off, check to see if there is 12v on the red/wht wire on pin 2 of the display - if there is 12v on pin 2, unplug the display and check for 12v on the pin 2 of the wiring harness plug - if there is 12v on pin 2 of the plug you need to find the short between the red/wht wire and the red wire - if there is no voltage on the red/wht wire with the wiring harness unplugged, you have a faulty display with an internal short between pin 1 and pin 2.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you shut off the engine with the handlebar switch and then turn turn off the key switch, does the display stay on?

If it does, check to see if there is 12v on the red/wht wire anywhere you might find one - if there is 12v on the red/wht wire with the handlebar switch in the stop position, you have a faulty handlebar switch. In the pic below you will see that the switch connects the red/blk wire to the red/wht wire when in the run position - when switched to stop, it breaks the connection to the red/wht wire while making connection of the blk kill wire to the brn ground wire which kills the engine, but if the red/wht wire stays hot, its because the switch is not breaking the connection to the red/wht wire. If the red/wht wire goes dead when the handlebar switch is turned off, check to see if there is 12v on the red/wht wire on pin 2 of the display - if there is 12v on pin 2, unplug the display and check for 12v on the pin 2 of the wiring harness plug - if there is 12v on pin 2 of the plug you need to find the short between the red/wht wire and the red wire - if there is no voltage on the red/wht wire with the wiring harness unplugged, you have a faulty display with an internal short between pin 1 and pin 2.
View attachment 138542
Okay, I’ll have to check in a little bit, I’m busy but I’ll update you, it turns off after a couple of minutes sitting though if that helps anymore

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
No - either way is fine, but it may work one way while not the other

Did the unit just suddenly start doing this? What does the owners manual say about a built in delay?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No - either way is fine, but it may work one way while not the other

Did the unit just suddenly start doing this? What does the owners manual say about a built in delay?
I do not know where my manual is but it never stayed on but 1 to 2 seconds after being shut off, I just installed a new battery if that helps.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As long as it turns off it is not a problem
I don’t really know, I pulled out with it today, rode around, now it’s normal.. I was just worried about it eventually getting worse, or if something was genuinely wrong.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts