Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I go to start my Sportsman it will make a rattle noise in the starter.. I took off the flywheel cover and I noticed the Starter Bendix/Gear Reduction was loose, but everything looks good. The washer on the Gear Reduction is good. Please help.. Thanks in advance.

·
11,157 Posts
When I go to start my Sportsman it will make a rattle noise in the starter.. I took off the flywheel cover and I noticed the Starter Bendix/Gear Reduction was loose, but everything looks good. The washer on the Gear Reduction is good. Please help.. Thanks in advance.
Not much unusual about that. As LB said, replace the Bendix and the bushings it runs in and MAYBE it will be quieter... maybe not lol. Unless its really bad I'd just wait till it got bad or I needed in there for something else.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay so if I spin the flywheel and at a certain point it makes a click.. is that normal? The bendix is fine it was just a little out of adjustment

·
11,157 Posts
When you say "spin" the flywheel do you mean you're turning the engine? I don't know what would click?
Exactly how did you adjust the Bendix?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When you say "spin" the flywheel do you mean you're turning the engine? I don't know what would click?
Exactly how did you adjust the Bendix?
I mean I spun in by hand.. my bad. I’m not sure it adjusted anything but I spun the flywheel and the sound got better but then it’s getting worse again. It also grinds sometimes.

·
11,157 Posts
I mean I spun in by hand.. my bad. I’m not sure it adjusted anything but I spun the flywheel and the sound got better but then it’s getting worse again. It also grinds sometimes.
Well I'm still not sure how you can spin it? I guess if you have the belt off and the spark plug out you could turn the engine easy enough but I don't know if you'd actually get a "spin" lol.
But anyway... Ouch!! Grinding don't sound good. Any up/down or in/out play in the crank?
Any signs of oil around the flywheel/stator or inside the cover?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I'm still not sure how you can spin it? I guess if you have the belt off and the spark plug out you could turn the engine easy enough but I don't know if you'd actually get a "spin" lol.
But anyway... Ouch!! Grinding don't sound good. Any up/down or in/out play in the crank?
Any signs of oil around the flywheel/stator or inside the cover?
I spun it with a wrench, it took force. Also I can’t start it because my carb needs a rebuild and I haven’t got to it yet.. I don’t want to further damage it but I’ll try to get it running and tell you what I hear. And yes there is oil sitting in the cover.

·
11,157 Posts
Oh, sounds like you may need to look into a rebuild from the crank up then. Oil in the cover indicates a leaking crank seal which often means a worn mag side crank bearing. If you've got grinding and clicking sounds when you turn it I'd guess it needs a little more TLC. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, sounds like you may need to look into a rebuild from the crank up then. Oil in the cover indicates a leaking crank seal which often means a worn mag side crank bearing. If you've got grinding and clicking sounds when you turn it I'd guess it needs a little more TLC. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Would the possibly cause it to start fine sometimes but then die When hot and not start or backfire and sound really bad? That’s what it was doing before

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for you help.. but I cleaned the carb (waiting on a rebuild kit to stop the small de acceleration backfires) and I pulled the choke out, still didn’t start it just kept turning, went again and she fired right up. I rode it around with good power and it will start beautifully now. The rattle in the starter even went away. I honestly believe the bendix was out of place and when I put it back in correctly the timing caught up and it tightened up or something..
Not sure just what I think.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
great news.. but bad news.. I found the issue, bendix in the starter area is missing bunches of teeth, I have to get a new one.. bad news I have to pull the flywheel

1 - 14 of 14 Posts