Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ok here we go I unplugged the speedo cleaned pin 16 still not working so I put brown with brown and white wire got power but the awd light is not coming on is that a bad switch

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ok here is what I did I cleaned pin 16 checked it still nothing I then put 16 to pin 8 witch is brown have power awd shows on speedo but the light on the switch is not coming on is this a bad switch

·
Registered
11,265 Posts
It's kinda redundant but here's how it works: The red/wht wire is hot when the key and handlebar switch are both in the run position

When you operate the AWD switch, the red/wht is connected to the gray wire, so now the gry wire is HOT
There are two gry wires in the plug at the throttle housing (27 and 44)
Here's where it get's confusing - 44 carries 12v to the AWD coil and 27 brings 12 back to the AWD light in the throttle housing - the power passes through the the light and connects to the brn/wht wire #46 - the brn/wht wire goes to the AWD coil (you can measure 12v on this wire as it is seeking ground) - at the AWD coil connector, it joins with brn/wht wire # 41
Wire #41 goes to pin 16 of the speedo - the PROM (programmable read only module) of the speedo is supposed to connect the brown wire on pin 15 to the brn/wht wire on pin 16 whenever the transmission is in neutral, forward or the engine is below about 2400 rpm - if the brn/wht wire is not getting connected to ground by the speedo, the problem is either a faulty speedo, faulty connection on the brown wire to ground or the PROM is mis-reading engine RPM on the yel/red wire and preventing the AWD connection due to perceived engine speed above 2400 rpm.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well I ordered 2 new switches right side and left side lot of corrosion on em tried to clean them up they are pretty bad hope they work

21 - 27 of 27 Posts