Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bit of a long story.. Last year the quad started to backfire randomly when the lights were on.. Thanks to this forum I found that the circuit breakers in the sealed pouches were corroded so I changed them and that solved the problem. After fixing that problem, a branch went through the rad so I replaced it with a new one. Not sure if there was an air lock in the lines but since it has been drawing from the reservoir and I have to top it off frequently. I have yet to see coolant anywhere and assumed that it was filling the lines and would eventually stay at the full level. Moving forward into winter, as I am in Canada and we've had a cold one, I hadn't been using the quad very much. I had left the petcock on and one day noticed a strong smell of gas coming from the garage. I checked the dip stick and the oil was milky and smelled of gas. From there I assumed that the float was stuck and gas had drained into the oil? I flushed 3 times and changed the filter and all seemed fine for a couple of weeks although the coolant issue stayed the same. The oil is now milky again and smells of fuel although the fumes do not fill the garage. My thoughts are possibly; water pump, head gasket, or carburetor issues? Maybe the backfiring from the circuit breakers is the cause and it's the head gasket? Also, there is no white smoke coming from the exhaust and I have been turning the petcock to the off position and letting the quad run to try and eliminate any gas issues if the float is stuck...?
Any feedback would be appreciated because right now I'm trying to figure out the best starting point.

Thanks!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Fuel in Oil

I had the problem with the strong Gas smell in the oil , so I repared the Carb. and changed the oil then would ride for about 50 miles then the smell of gas in oil again , it will take a few oil changes to get the smell out of the oil it took for or five for me after fixing the carb. and I did the same thing with turning the pitcock off every time and letting run out of gas when I would park it , the carb needs fixed or you wont get the gas smell out of the oil , as for the milky oil that may be antifreeze in oil as mine was never milky . just a thought !

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Take the fuel line of the carb and verify your petcock is working properly and actually turning off the fuel. The milky oil and coolant loss is likely related. Most likely water pump seal since its getting in the oil and its not overheating.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Gas in the oil will thin it but it won't turn it milky. That is typically a coolant issue as stated previously and probably your water pump as noted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts