Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I own a 2002 polaris xplorer 250, and I am wanting to buy a bigger carb and a new pipe for it, but I'm having loads of troubles on the internet searching for some because there are none that I can find. The only ones i've found are ones for a TrailBlazer, and even those are stock carburetors. ANY HELP? :ponder:

·
Registered
62 Posts
You shouldnt need a bigger carb. You can run the stock carb even with a big bore kit and exhaust. All you need to do is change the jets.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You shouldnt need a bigger carb. You can run the stock carb even with a big bore kit and exhaust. All you need to do is change the jets.
What jets do i need to use then? and where could i find an exhaust/bigbore kit?
Thank you for replying :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
I dont know of a pipe right off. As far as the bore goes just find a piston and rings set on enay whatever size you want and have the cylimder bored. Jets- start at stock and go up or down amd find what works or let someone do it for you. There may be other tricks for power such as timing, jetting, porting, etc. do some investigating before you get started.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont know of a pipe right off. As far as the bore goes just find a piston and rings set on enay whatever size you want and have the cylimder bored. Jets- start at stock and go up or down amd find what works or let someone do it for you. There may be other tricks for power such as timing, jetting, porting, etc. do some investigating before you get started.
okay the jets and boaring make sense for me thank you. and i dont know what pipes could work, like would a scrambler sized pipe fit on it or would i need to do more research?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I advise u do some more research. If u could get ur hands on a loaner scrambler exhaust u could try it. Thats what i have on my 400 but i had to modify and fab some mounts. Ill see if i can upload some pics in the am.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I advise u do some more research. If u could get ur hands on a loaner scrambler exhaust u could try it. Thats what i have on my 400 but i had to modify and fab some mounts. Ill see if i can upload some pics in the am.
alright thanks, and i was just wondering why i wouldnt need a bigger carb, because wouldnt i need more air flow for the exhaust to push out and everything?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just a tip all of the mid 90s-2002 xplorer 250, sportsman 400, 425s, and trailboss 250s use the same frame. So the plastics, racks, suspension, (except 2wd swingarms) will interchange. Even the front and rear axles. Only diff is the 250 cv axles are 2mm smaller in diameter. Any questions just ask and ill try to help.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Trust me. With the right jets itll push as much air and fuel u will need. But if u go big with the bore such as .100 over and u cant get enough (slim chance) u could just step up to a 400 carb and jet it down

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Trust me. With the right jets itll push as much air and fuel u will need. But if u go big with the bore such as .100 over and u cant get enough (slim chance) u could just step up to a 400 carb and jet it down
I remember my dad saying that when he changed the carb on his 400 xplorer he tried putting it on this 250, i forget but something was different because something had to come through on the side or something and in order for it to work my dad had to drill a hole through it and he didnt keep it because he thought it wasnt very safe or reliable.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You are correct my friend! I dunno what i was thinking when i said that cuz the are totally different but the 250 carb should be plenty with the right jets. You should never have to change the carb because of exhaust changes. Just jets and actually u may have to go down on jet size depending on the exhaust

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You are correct my friend! I dunno what i was thinking when i said that cuz the are totally different but the 250 carb should be plenty with the right jets. You should never have to change the carb because of exhaust changes. Just jets and actually u may have to go down on jet size depending on the exhaust
okay thank you for your help and advice, and im going to double check with my local polaris dealer and they could help me out too. thank :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
You are welcome. I dont claim to know everything but i will try to help and share my knowledge and experience with people. If you need anything else just ask and ill do my best to help

1 - 13 of 13 Posts