Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all, new here and would like to ask this question if anybody knows the answer.

I have a polaris xplorer 400 4x4, the engine went bad. Replaced with a different smaller engine, what my friend told me it was a 300? unsure.

Well my question is it turned over fine and came on for a few minutes, and then died on me. I have no spark. When i connect all 3 wires that go from the stator to the cdi box, all of them are grounded. When i connect just the brown one I get the intermittent signal from the red/black wire coming from the stator, but grounds when i connect all 3. How will i go about to test, if there is even a test for the cdi box before I spend the money and its not even that.

Another thing is we replaced the engine with a smaller one would the cdi be a different one or should I still buy the same 400 one? Im not exactly sure what engine it is though. Because I see the cdi boxes for 400/350/250 but none for a 300 which they had told me the replaced engine was.

I have it straight without the shutoff/emergency switch.

ITS A BIG POST TO READ, BUT IF YOU CAN HELP ME IN ANY WAY THAT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED IT. THANK YOU.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Hey welcome to the board, I'm sure someone will be along soon to help you out!

·
Registered
563 Posts
You dont know what year or what it came out of?Is it an older engine like from the 90's or so? Express 300 96-99 Explorer 300 96-99 Hawkeye 300 06-07 I doubt very seriously its out of a new Sportsman 300 but you never know I guess.See if you can find some numbers on it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I dont know what atv it came from? My friend doesnt remember and he sold it as scrap. It wasnt 4x4 and something in the front was broken. Thats why we did what we did.

Is there a way to find a number off of the engine or something? And where to look?

All i know is that the engine it had was water cooled (radiator connected to it) and the one replaced with is not. But it was a perfect fit as to the transmission and frame. Is just not connected to the oil can and the radiator.

Would it really make a difference if I get a cdi box for the 400, and connected to a smaller (300/250) engine?

·
Registered
563 Posts
I would say,since your friend scrapped the rest of it,you probably have a engine out of a Explorer 300 or an Express 300.I think the cdi boxes are different,but I wont swear to it.Call a dealer and ask for the part number on an 02 Sportsman 400 and a Explorer/Express 300 to see if they match,or just ask if it will work.Look around the cylinder head or crank case(maybe on bottom) for numbers.Anyone else have any input?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First of all thanks slider for all your help.

Now I havent called to see if they would be same, but came across this website http://www.psep.biz/store/polaris_atv_cdi_boxes.htm
where they sell cdi boxes and I dont see any for the 300 only 400 and it looks like the 400 has the same wires and connections like the one I have.

I will look at the engine today to try to get a number and find the one I need I will keep you guys/gals informed on what I find.

Thanks to all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright I found out what the engine came off of,

The donor was a 97 xplorer 300
The receiver was a 97 xplorer 400

I cant seem to find the cdi box for the 300 will the 400 cdi box work with the 300 engine.

By the way does anyone have a pdf manual for the xplorer they might let me have just the wiring schematics. Or anyone that might know where to find them on the net.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
its not your cdi box the stator are not the same . 400 has a different stator thats why its burning up your cdi box . need to get a polaris service manual i looked at mine and they have the same wiring but 300 is 150 watt and 400 is 250 watt stator . even if you get it running probaly wont charge battery right . need to go to ebay and change all boxes just type in polaris electrical and you can buy anything get it used its ok.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply big al.
But I think you got it backwards......... right now I have the 300 engine (smaller engine) and I used to have the 400.

Then I used the 300 engine with the 400 cdi box. But no power was coming out of the cdi box they were all grounded. I think is the cdi box, because the power does come out from the stator, but not out of the cdi box.

I just ordered one and got it in tonight. Will try to get it on in the next few days.

Now im a novice with 4 wheelers so im going by trial and error but will stop there since the cdi box was the lowest price.

I will keep all posted as soon as I install. But if any of you have any tips or post to redirect me as to test or what to check in order to get a spark out, please let me know. I also need wiring diagram to connect the charging system.

Thank you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok guys replaced the cdi box, and the intermittent light comes out unlike the older cdi box.

Now problem is that im not getting a spark out the coil. I get a very minimal shock if I touch the wire but not enough to actually see a spark. Could it be the coil and is there a way to check a coil and how?

Or could it actually be the stator? And if you say yes why?

Thanks

·
Registered
563 Posts
It "is" possible the stator is bad,but I would check the ETC(adjust the throttle cable)If the ETC needs adjusted,then it can have very little spark.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey slider can you point me to a thread or website on how to adjust the etc, I have heard of that before or seen it on another site but i forgot where.

And is there a way to test the coil?

Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
alright guys and girls,

Replaced the cdi box, replaced the coil......... results......... my atv came back to life.

Now another question....... Does this engine use oil? or does it use it from the fuel mixture? And if it does what is the regular fuel/oil mix to it?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts