Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2002 400 2x4, very clean bike and a good running machine, however the seller warned me that it would overheat after 15-20 mins of riding, cools down and restarts. given the overall condition i bought it anyway figuring it would be a simple fix.
took it out this weekend expecting the problem to arise, which it did, bike through the temp light and it died like clockwork after about 15 minutes. i pulled the radiator cap and the coolant was warm but by no means hot, and i have not been able to get the bike to restart. i suspect there is a couple issues going on at this point but thought i would call on someone here for some additional insight before i tear into it, not much experience with the two strokes.
Has brand new battery, and plug, prior to the ride. thanks in advance everyone

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
First off, the battery is not part of the ignition system - the ignition is magneto - consists of CDI charging coil, pulse coil, CDI unit, coil, spark plug cap, spark plug and the associated wiring.

I suspect an electrical component as cause of the problem - overheating and losing spark

To start isolating the problem, disconnect the black (kill wire) at the CDI unit - this will eliminate all the switches and the reverse speed limiter as the culprit if it dies - if it does not die, then you have to determine what is causing the killing of spark - if it dies with the black wire unplugged, then it's a matter of finding which component of the ignition system is causing the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it will (potentially) start with the black CDI wire disconnected? it won't start right now

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
With the black wire disconnected you can't turn it off - have to ground the black wire on the CDI box to kill the spark.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
turns out the boot for the plug was damaged so starting issue has been resolved, any insight on the overheating issue?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts