Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm lookin at a 500ho 2002 Polaris, has 1002 hours on it. Know the guy who has it and I know it's set in his garage since he got it and he just used it putting around the farm moving chicken coops from here to there and hauling hay occasionally to animals. What I am wanting to know is what is it worth.

Also, all my buddies ride Hondas, this will be my first four wheeler ever. They all say polaris has trouble with them ring belt driven. Is this a regular problem or is this a problem that comes from ripping and running through mud and creeks? My main use for the four wheeler will be to haul a small trailer on the farm from feedin to cuttin wood etc.

Thanks for the info

·
Registered
132 Posts
I payed a little over 2000$ with around 1000 hours on it, but around here used ATVs dont drop much. I still have the original belt with over 8000 miles on it. They will last a long time if you use low when needed, and dont go over the belt intake.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a 2001 that I bought from a farmer with similar 'easy' miles on it. Mine has less hours (a little less than 500, with almost 3,000 miles), but has original belt and has had no problems at all. Mine has been great. I paid $1,800.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
They are just jealous.....
I replaced my belt only because it was 10 yrs old. Its a proven drive system. Unless you play submarine with it and fill the clutch cover with mud/water, you will get many years of service out of it. As was mentioned using low range for the grunt work saves a lot of wear and tear on the whole thing.
For years the Polaris 500 was the best selling quad made. You don't get sales like that if there is something wrong with the drive system. Take them in the mud and see if all 4 wheels spin or just 3. All 4 turn on the Polaris.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I almost forgot..... Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I have the same year 2002..got in the fall...it is a great machine...built well....mine had about 700 miles on it...was a deer camp machine....I paid 2500 but got got some extras with it also....I ride it alot on the mountain here..but plow alot also..sine late Nov to now..I plow weekly..lol...today I had 12" of wet snow an more coming..

if you get it change all fluids if he has not done lately.....and what I did from reading here was to take the plastics off..not hard..an went over every electrical connector an plug an cleaned an greased..thats ploaris's grmlin....electrical...you will have a great machine....get your self a battery maintainer an plug in when not in use..you wont have battery problems....

Enjoy the machine..and Welcome to the Forum....

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
get a contact cleaner spray to clean..then add a dab of dielectric grease ..dont have to glob it on just a smidgin will do....do all the plug in connectors even the ones in the pod going to the speedometer...also use marine grease to grease all the suspension zerks...there is a ton of them on the machine...I will take a week end this spring an do it complete...and check for any rubbing wires ...leaks...loose things...

·
Registered
213 Posts
My buddy has the one and has been skidding logs with it for 12 Years and has never changed anything but the oil and this year a fuel pump. I bought my 2013 on the simple fact that every one I know that has one has liked there's

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 02 owned since new great machine. Sank it in 15 feet of water can't kill it. Open all connectors sprayed contact cleaner some dielectric grease, drained everything ran better than new. I plow a lot of snow with it. Only problems I had with it was front hub would not disengage sometimes will fix that when it gets warmer. ripped cv boot and cv got contaminated. Otherwise belt still strong great quad

1 - 11 of 11 Posts