Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 400 &500 Polaris 2002 sportsmans only about 120-150 hours each. Doing all the oils and maintenance. I see all the posts about front and rear diffs. Fronts no problem, rear diff does not seem to be any drain or fill plugs that I can see. Found the dipstick on right side and a drain on the bottom, not much came out. Question is am I missing it or do they both fill in the same dip stick. From what I gather it's supposed to take 32oz. I have never seen so much discussion of oils and lubes of vehicle in my life. Even Polaris could not give me an answer I feel comfortable with. Especially when they are different. From what I saw was rear diff uses 75-90 synthetic and trans 20-40 motor oil. If you are in the know I would appreciate some direction. I found a 1999 to 2003 pdf service manual online and it doesn't even mention a rear diff. SOOOO
Confused!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,631 Posts
32oz tells me that the trans and rear diff are in the same case. You need to use the trans oil for them. I think the synthetic AGL will work fine. I will have to check my manual.

·
Premium Member
3,631 Posts
They are in the same case and use Polaris Synthetic Gearcase Lubricant. Different part number than the AGL. Fill is through the dipstick tube.

·
Registered
9 Posts
32oz tells me that the trans and rear diff are in the same case. You need to use the trans oil for them. I think the synthetic AGL will work fine. I will have to check my manual.
Hi atave7119, do you have manual for repair sportsman 500 h.o 2002?

·
Premium Member
3,631 Posts
Yes I do...I think it covers 96 through 2013

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'll try to find repair manual for my Sportsman 500 h.o 2002 on PDF....but I dont know may be for europian models may different

·
Registered
12 Posts
I recently did this service for the first time on my 2000 Sportsman 500. The drain was easy to locate on the bottom of the transmission housing and through the skid plate. The fill port is the where the dipstick goes in.

I used Amsoil Synthetic ATV/UTV Transmission/Differential fluid and used a hand pump that attaches to the quart bottle and pumped the fluid in. I'd pump a few strokes then put the dipstick in and check the level.

I can tell you from my fluid change that the shifting is MUCH smoother and quieter now and also the bike as a whole runs a lot more quiet than it used to be. I changed the engine oil, filter, rear diff, and front diff all at the same time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts