Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i have been all over the place trying to find whats up with my four wheeler. Ill start at the begining to let you know where i started. It would not ldle at all unless i gave it some gas.As soon as i let off the throttle it would die. A friend of mine said when his did something similar he got a new carb and it works like new. So i ordered a new carb and go it put on. It started but was running rough, we found there was too much play in the throttle lever and tighted that up so it was at the factory specs. Turned the idle screw back down because whe hat it too high after we adjusted the thorttle cable.Now it startright up and ildes great. I took it out for a test run at at half throttle it bogs down, if i pull the choke it reves up and the bog goes away until i slow down and and try to ildle with the choke out and it dies. Put the choke back in and it starts and ildles fine. With the old carb it never bogged down just no idle. Any ideas on what i need to do. This has me confused and i dont know what to do next. Thanks Justin

·
Registered
115 Posts
By “new carb”, do you mean it was one of the $40 ones found on eBay, or is it a OEM carb (a lot more expensive). If one of the cheap ones, it’s been my experience (from doing the same thing several times) that they are hit/miss at best due to production quality issues (made in China, etc..) My best results came from tearing apart the original carb, cleaning every orifice very thoroughly, replacing any unserviceable parts with ones that fit from the “new” carb, setting all of the adjustments to factory settings, and tuning it from there. Over the years, as gas sits in there, it clogs orifices and causes the conditions you describe. If you clean it well enough, blow out all of the jets and little holes, it will probably be your best bet to get it running like new.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Your new carb is too lean when it starts to bog as you give it air (open the throttle) the jetting is incorrect for the volume of air being drawn through the carb.

The choke is not a choke, but an enrichener - it is a separate fuel and air circuit allows a rich fuel mixture to bypass the throttle plate - at high speed the amount of increased amount of air is negligible, but the extra fuel supplements the too lean jetting of the other fuel circuits.

The old carb just needed a thorough cleaning to make it right.

I suggest you have the good (original) carb serviced and reinstall it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts