Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am an ATV novice and just bought my first atv, a used 2002 sportsman 400. It will be used in the mountains of WV. Mostly during November-Janurary Unfortunately, It will sit most of the year. (I have a battery tender)

My question is about a battery. Mine won't crank the motor and reads 11.7. I can start the bike with the pull start, however the battery dosen't charge. Hopefully, it's just the battery.

I am looking for a dependable battery on a cold morning. Brands or cold cranking amps suggestions? 70? 90?
How much is too much?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
If it reads 11.7, it's dead - if it reads 11.7 while running, the charging system needs repaired

Battery tender or not, I would install a Yuasa YTX14AH-BS (210CCA) lead acid AGM battery or a Firepower HJTX14AH-FP-Q (250CCA) Lithium battery. If you use a lithium battery, you will need a Lithium battery BatteryTender.

When you connect the battery tender, make sure the output does not exceed 1.25 amps (750MA for Lithium) and plug it into an outlet timer set to on for 2 to 4 hours every 24 hour period.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it is 11.7 not running and can't crank the motor.

Why the timer for the battery tender? Shouldn't the tender cut on and off?

Thanks for all you recommendations!

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
Battery Tender (registered trademark) does not cut off 100% - it go to maintenance charge of 1/10 amp continuously - on a small battery (even the largest ATV battery) 1/10 amp continuously over a long period of time can damage the battery. On a timer, it will be turned on, go through the charge cycle and be turned off - much better for extending battery life.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts