Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 sportsman 500ho I bought for my son. We rebuilt everything it seems on it and today was his first ride. I noticed the antifreeze level was down so I topped it up. Upon my sons return from his day riding I noticed the reservoir was empty again. I started looking for leaks hoping that it isn't a head gasket when I seen a wet spot on the bottom of the motor right below the water pump. The rest of the motor was dry except for this one spot which was right above were the antifreeze was dripping. I found what looks like a small plug possibly under the water pump which is leaking. The previous owner obviously knew about the leak because it was plugged with silicone. My question is what exactly is the small whole/plug that is in question. Is it a drain plug by chance? I'm going to attach a picture but I'm not sure if it will be noticeable(the leak is coming from just below the arrow). It is right above the u-joint on the transmission side of the prop shaft and below the water pump. Is this something that can be turned out and re-installed with pipe sealant or is the case possibly cracked.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've been googling and I think I have found my answer. There is a weep hole underneath and that's where the antifreeze is coming from. So I guess I need a new seal. One thing after another lol.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Just posted in your other thread. If it is leaking out of the weep hole you should probably replace the entire water pump. Especially if the previous owner tried to patch it up. Bearings are probably gone in it too by now

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just posted in your other thread. If it is leaking out of the weep hole you should probably replace the entire water pump. Especially if the previous owner tried to patch it up. Bearings are probably gone in it too by now
Sounds like a good idea. Is it a big job to do? I've done everything else on this myself so far.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Ther is a mechanical seal in water pump, needs replaced, there is also an oil seal on the shaft behind the mechanical seal replace that too while your in there, do yopu have a manual for it? it spells out changing it pretty well , get new gasket FOR COVER AND INSPECT IMPELLER TOO.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My manual says in order to replace the mechanical seal you have to remove the motor and split the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts