Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone with some knowledge give me a hand. I have had issues with my machine running terribly for some time. Last time i took it out it was running very rich. I took the carb out and got the dealership to rebuild it with a rebuild kit. My only questions now is I noticed the i can only pull my choke knob out maybe 1/4 at best. Since i have the carb off if i look at the plunger side when i pull the knob out this 1/4 i don't see the plunger move at all. From how i understands his fuel enricher works should there not be some movement in this plunger. As you can see in the pic below its pretty tight right up to the spring and that's with the plunger not he dash pressed all the way in (No Choke). I don't see anywhere to adjust this choke so is the cable bad. I figured i better check since the machine is already apart and would take minutes to change out this cable instead of re installing and ripping down again.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys that's what i kind of figured. I have rebuilt this carb personally a few times and this has been an on going issues. Runs ok when I first get it going, i mean ok like it still doesn't idle low. Then after 10 15 min when it warms up it runs way worse. One more quick questions Is there an adjustment on this style choke or do i just get the correct cable for my machine and plug and play ?

Thanks again,

·
Registered
269 Posts
Does the rubber sleeve pull up/away from the mounting nut, if so there should be an adjuster there under the rubber.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes it does. What should the adjustment be set at. Should it just bottom out with the plunger in all the way when i re instal or is there specific setting i need to be at.

·
12,787 Posts
Yes it needs adjusted. Here's how
CHOKE (ENRICHER) ADJUSTMENT With the choke control pushed in, the choke plunger must be seated on the fuel passage way in the carburetor. If the plunger is not seated on the fuel passage way inside the carburetor (not enough cable freeplay), the engine willflood or run too rich, causing plug fouling and poor performance. If cable slack is excessive, the choke fuel passage will not open far enough, which may cause cold starting difficulty. Also, the half-choke position used for intermittent applications will not function properly. 1. Locate the boot behind the choke knob and pull it back. Loosen the friction nut 1 turn or until choke slides freely. Re-install boot. 2. Push the choke knob in to the full off position. 3. Slide boots off in-line cable adjuster and loosen adjustment locknut. 4. Turn adjuster until the choke knob pulls out over 1/4″. 5. Push on the choke knob lightly while turning the adjuster the opposite way. 6. Turn the adjuster until the knob contacts the boot. 7. Tighten adjuster nut. 8. Slide boots back over cable adjuster sleeve until they touch at the middle point of the adjuster. 9. Pull back the choke knob boot and tighten the friction nut until the choke will maintain a set position. Re-install boot

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome, thanks for the help on this. I shouldn't have any issues your instructions seems straight forward. Once the new part comes in and is installed i will post my results.

·
Registered
336 Posts
One way I’ve found to confirm that the plunger is going all the way in when choke/enricher is off is with a micrometer. While the plunger/cable is removed from the carb, Measure the distance from the base of the fitting that screws into the carb, to the flat part of the plunger (don’t include the nub at the end. Then use the bar that extends from the end of the micrometer when you open it to measure he depth of the hole from the carb body to where the plunger bottoms out inside the carb. The measurements should be equal. Also, it’s a good idea to inspect the hole for any debris or gunk that might cause the plunger to bind or not seat fully. I’ve found stuff in there from gas that gelled after sitting for years without being run. Blow out the passage with compressed air to make sure there is no clog.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your help on this guys. Fuel enrichment cable was the problem. I haven't actually taken it out for a spin, but I have never been able to get a low idle on this machine without it stalling because its getting flooded so i am confident it will run as good as it now idles. On my machine I was not able to adjust the plunger at all on this cable. I have attached a pic of the new cable and the old one with the fitting attached and the threaded nut is just tight up to the fitting. Now that the cable is functioning properly you can definitely see the full range in the plunger installed and when I did a cold start half choke worked fine as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts