Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and was wondering if someone could provide some insight to determining if need to replace my drive belt on a 2002 Sportsman 500 HO.
I recently discoverd a rubberish burning smell coming from the area of the drive belt. I took the covers off for inspection and the belt is not shreaded or showing any real signs of wea, that I can tell. It could be worn, but since i never replaced it I dont know how big the teeth are supposed to be on the belt? Maybe it is wearing and the slipping is what im smelling.
Can anyone tell me how to tell?

·
Registered
483 Posts
You can use a pair of calipers to check the width of the belt . Not sure what the wear limit is for your belt. I have a non EBS so mine might be different. My wear limit is 2.86cm or 1.125in. Also check for any rubber buildup on the front primary pulley sheave area. It should look shinny. You can use some Scotch Brite to lightly rough it up a little if you replace the belt, this gives you a better belt grip but won't hurt the new belt.

·
Registered
421 Posts
if you have alota miles on it. change it anyways. it maybe slipping and thats what your smelling.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts