Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and 1st post on the forum! I am a proud owner of a new (to me) 2002 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O. Camo Edition. It had 82 hours/400 miles when I bought it, had setup a while. Previous owner had problem with pull string getting in the flywheel sensor/magnet and got repaired. Not sure any of that matters for my issue (or non-issue).

The bike starts and runs great, no noticeable problems whatsoever. No complaints! Just an observation: When I am in forward motion H or L and barely hit the throttle to begin moving, the bike is very hesitant and when it finally does move feels very sluggish (almost like a parking brake is on) and I can feel some vibration or even something like a belt or maybe something else puslating. When I give more throttle and get to 5mph or faster, its fine. It just doesn't like to crawl very well without some strange noises/vibrations and a rubbing or slapping or something I can't describe.

Any ideas of what this could be? Should I be able to crawl with ease?

Some other observations: the bike's fan starts earlier than I would expect, sometimes 10 minutes into riding under normal to medium load. It does cut off and then back on like its operating normal, just tends to need the fan more often than I would have thought.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Sounds like your drive belt is worn out and slipping. Take the cover off and check it. Probably needs a good cleaning and or replaced.
I have an 01 and the fan comes on a lot also, not sure what's going on there. It never overheats though....

Kevin

·
Registered
275 Posts
Mine's a 2001 400sportsman. It had the smoothest take off and you could crawl anywhere with it. Than I installed EBS on it and it is the same as you described yours being. I have a hotshot clutch kit and the rpms have to be higher to even start to move it. Have thought about going back to stock,but the EBS is nice when I'm using the bush-hog. The fan acts the same way,but sofar its not over heated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts