Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I am new to the forums and did a search and was unable to find a solution to my problem. Does anyone know where the fuel line goes after the check valve coming out of the carburetor? After riding my ATV for about 30 minutes the other day I could smell fuel when I stopped. (I store my ATV indoors so this problem developed as I was riding otherwise I would have smelled the fuel before I went for a ride.) I turned the ATV off and began investigating where the fuel was coming from. I identified the source just under the carburetor at the check valve, so I turned the fuel supply off at the main valve. The slow drip stopped after a few minutes. I can only see a fuel line between the check valve and the carburetor. There was nothing on the other end of the check valve and the plastic stem on the check valve appears to have melted a little from contact with the engine. I consulted the parts manual and found the parts I need. The schematic shows fuel line on both sides of the check valve, however I am not able to determine where it goes after the check valve. The odd thing is that in the manual the check valve is not listed under the section on the carburetor, but under the Engine Mounting section. I ordered a replacement check valve along with fuel line (25' is the minimum about the dealer sold) I have the parts, ready to install and go for a ride, but need help locating where the fuel line goes. Any help, guidance or suggestions will be welcomed and appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
mounting from the carburetor is: fuel line, then check valve, then more fuel line(long enough so fuel won't splurt onto the exhaust or hot engine and catch fire) it just is meant to dangle there and drip onto the ground.
the real problem is that fuel should not be coming out of the hose at all. what most likely is wrong is that you either have dirt in the needle valve &seat or the needle valve and seat are just wore out or the floats in the carb.are defective. try cleaning the carb.first and inspect the needle valve for wear

·
Registered
10 Posts
There is a screw usually near the spicket coming out the base of carb.The fuel line connects to "spicket". Make sure the screw is tight,if not gas will drain out. The intended purpose of the screw is to allow you to drain gas from float bowl/carb during storage. It helps prevent stagnet gas from gumming up your carb.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I stumbled across this post while looking for a part number and a picture. I have a 01 Sportsman and am looking for the part number and a picture of the little red and white valve that dangles under the carb. anyone know what Im talking about?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thank you, I have been searching for hours trying to find that darn number. How did yo find it? I looked at every picture in the diagram and had no luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts