Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Let me preface this unfortunate series of events. It starts with the fact that I had to borrow this ATV, because I stuck my mower into the pond at the house... I'm a Honda sport quad guy by nature so I'm a little behind when it comes to the Polaris side. I pulled the quad out of the barn this weekend to use it to clean some fence rows while I had it. I let my wife ride it around the pasture while I got my saws ready, I got a call from her that it had died and she couldn't get it to move. I walked out there and sure enough it wasn't wanting to move, she had it and low gear and drove it for about 30 mins. I was able to get it back it back up to the barn in low gear, but full throttle. The machine (to my ears) doesn't seem like it's hitting the full rmp a overhead cam motor should. This carries across in high low and neautral. It doesn't sound like the limiter when it's in reverse, but just sluggish. I checked fuel flow to the carb, tore the carb down and checked the jets, the drive belt seems to be ok no threads showing but is galled on the contact areas. I'm at a loss here, my gut is telling me it's fuel but with the electronics that are on the unit I suppose that could be a hold up.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I'd start checking simple things like the air cleaner.

Then check the fuel pump flow rate, disconnect hose leading to carb and sparkplug, then turn over a few times, should have a small squirt.

Let us know what ya find. :cowboy:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cowboy,

Thanks for the reply! I did check pump flow seemed to be ok, air cleaner element was clean and in good shape, new spark plug gapped, checked spark to ground and seemed ok. The quad just struggles seems to struggle to move its own weight.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts