Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I am new to the board. I have a 2002 sportsman 500 ho that won't fire up. recently started smoking so I tore it down and replaced the piston rings. Now after i put it back together I've had problems with getting it to start. I have got it to start about 3 times after kept turning the key and it would eventually fire up out of the blue and would run and idle just fine. But now I can't seem to get it started, I've replaced the spark plug and tested it, it is getting spark. I've tried spraying starting fluid thur the carb and it just backfires but won't start. I have just about had enough with messing with it. Any suggestions will help,Thanks

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
so compression is good? fuel is fresh? timing is set correctly? carb clean and major parts operating ok? (bowl,diaphram, needle)?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response. I have not yet checked the compression, the timing is set to where I assume would be correct I lined up the colored links on the chain to the marks on the gears and being that it started and idled fine I would think its correct I could be wrong, an I did just clean the carb it all looked to me to be fine float wasn't stuck and all jets we're not clogged. I would think a spray of starting fluid would get it to start for a second but it won't even do that

·
Registered
55 Posts
Re check the timing sounds off. Check compression too. Like Corey says check the basics first, carb new fuel ect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I will recheck the timing and do a compression test and get back to y'all. Any one know exactly how to set the timing correctly, because as it is now the timing chain has three diffrent colored links, so what I did was line two links up with the two dots on the cam gear an the other links with the dot on the bottom shaft gear at tdc. Also what the compression should be? Thanks

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Never set timing on these but I found this statement on a tech manual (in the timing engine section): "The plated links and dots on the sprocket are aligned during the initial camshaft timing procedure. After turning the crankshaft the same alignment only occurs infrequently: Therefore , during Step 14. reference the timing marks on the sprockets, not the two plated cam/shaft links."

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I adjusted the pickup closer to the flywheel. After putting it back together it fired right up!:veryhappy: ..... then cut out after a second:disappointed:,Now I am able to get it to fire up with starting fluid for a second till it cuts out, so I'm asumming it's a gas problem. I'm going to pull the carb off again and check it

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
fuel pump good?

try pulling off the hose from the pump leading to the carb and turn engine over a couple turns, it should squirt out pretty good indicating it is working ok. then move on to ur carb. Did you find a the tech manual? It is very large pdf otherwise I'd attach it here. google for it - it will have a problem shooting section where you can go area by area to eliminate the issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did remove that hose an it was squirting out but just didn't seem to be enough. But now the problem I'm having is weird, I can get it to fire up by limiting to air intake I put my hand over the intake only leaving a little room for air an it starts and idle fine, untill I move my hand then it cuts out. I don't know what that could be, any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Maybe leaking rubber boots around carb? spray a little carb cleaner or starting fluid while ur feathering the intake with your other hand, if engine starts to run better and w/out covering the intake, u've got a leak or two.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts