Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all...
I'm new to this website and it looks fantastic!

I've got an '02 Sportsman 700 in my shop-customer states it won't engage to AWD. Moving the switch on the handlebar does nothing; I assume it should make some noise when engaging. I usually don't work on these, but I'm doing this for a friend. I suspect it may be an electrical issue. I purchased a service manual, but it really doesn't address it.

Anyone else experience this, such as a bad circuit breaker, switch, etc?

Thanks in advance!

Tom:bling:

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
421 Posts
the awd light come on? check to see if there is power and ground to the coils? the awd switch applys power to the coils. but dosent turn them on. when the rear wheels spin and the front dont with the awd switch on the speedo grounds the coils out and then it engauges the front wheels. iv got a diagram from a 2003 sportsman not shure if there the same wire diagram. but there all the same idea. if the wires im talking about and the wire is on that pin its the same. you can try and ground out the brown/white wire at the right handel bar switch plug pin c. this is for the awd light. but the same wire also goes to the speedo. that is the wire the speedo controls. and on the speedo its pin 16. if you ground it out with the awd switch on. its the speedo. and if there is power at pin f or red/white then check pin e gray wire for power. pin f is the input to the switch pin e is the power out put to the hub coils.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
hey guys new new to the site (pretty cool) i'm having the same issue.all instruments light up for a couple of seconds then loose p.r.n.d.l.h. 4x4 does not work & light doesnt either.baffled any help would be appreciate thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
fixed mine.spent all day test stuff. trans. module & resistor module. my resistor plug was dirty so i think that was the problem worth a try good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
700 4wd issues

I finally fixed the 4X4. I:alcoholic: just wired the 4x4 wire to the high beams. So now its full time 4x4 when the high beams are on. Easy fix but you loose some of the coolness with auto engagement. Funny thing though after we finished the fix I went to turn on the machine and the VDO came to life. Frustrating. I think the issue is moisture getting into it. Some condensation inside. I may undo the high beam thing and then just goop the S#!% out of the speedo.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Wondering if someone can show or tell me just where the AWD light is at on my 02 sportsman 700? I seem to understand it is on the instrument POD. I just replaced the speed sensor but the lndicator on light I don't see. So I don't know if the AWD is actually engaged or not, maybe the light can go bad? How can I find out before I actually get stuck and need it.?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Mine is in the switch itself. When its in the off position it covers the AWD letters. When you slide it over to engage the AWD then the letters are visible and lit up.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I see mine is the same. However the letters AWD do not light up. Does that mean the AWD is not working? When I have the AWD on and put it in reverse I push the override button and the work "slow" ls displayed on the speedo display. Does that mean it's working?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I need help. I am having problems with my AWD on my 02 sportsman 700. It is enaged all the time. I pulled the plug out of the switch and the problem still exists. I get it in soft soil and hold the front brake and it won't spin the rear tires. It just takes off. I took my wifes 500 out today and I can get it to spin easily. What can keep my AWD engaged? Please someone give me some direction.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts