Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought an old 2002 700 Sportsman that ran and drove good. Owner said he'd done the Polaris ignition system upgrade from the old Ducati system to the Kokosan. It had a small coolant leak between the case and inner stator cover. Nothing too bad, just a torn gasket . I'd guess he torn it while doing the upgrade due to removing too many bolts. It appeared to me that the upgrade was done as he said it was, the flywheel had the spaced magnets that look like the ones I'd seen in a You Tube video about the Polaris ignition kit installation. The only thing I noticed was the magnetic pick up coil by the flywheel had a little crack in the body of it. Stator and all wiring looked almost brand new. Up front, under the cover, the CDI box and coil are seperate parts. The cdi has a part number on it, but it's faded and I can't make it out. It ran perfectly until today. Started it to let it warm up before driving it, and in 3 minutes or so, it died. It'll crank, but no start. Doesn't even act like it wants to. Its getting fuel. Doesn't seem to be getting any spark. I pulled a plug wire and had no spark to confirm my thoughts. Lights and gauge cluster work fine. Where would be a good place to start looking?

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Start by disconnecting the black wire from the CDI unit and then check for spark - if you have spark, connect an ohm meter to the wiring harness black wire and a brown wire or a good ground (brown is the ground wire) - if you have continuity, try opening the throttle, if continuity is lost, adjust the throttle cable until there is no continuity and the problem is solved - if opening the throttle does not break continuity, unplug the LH handle bar switch - if unplugging the switch breaks continuity, either the switch is defective or in the off position - if continuity is maintained with the handlebar switch unplugged, unplug the key switch - if continuity is now lost, the key switch is faulty - if continuity is maintained, unplug the speedometer (reverse limiter) - if continuity is broken with the speedo disconnected, replace the speedo.

Alternate method (no meter required) make sure the handlebar switch and key switch are in the on or run position - unplug the lack wire on the CDI unit and try to start the engine - if the engine starts, unplug the key switch, LH handlebar switch and speedo - plug the black wire back into the CDI unit and the engine should continue to run - if the engine dies, try reving the engine with the throttle and then plug the black wire in - if the engine continues to run, but dies when you let off the throttle, adjust the throttle cable - when you have it idling, plug in the key switch, handlebar switch and speedo - if the engine dies when a component is plugged in, replace that component.

If there is no spark with the black wire disconnected - you will have to troubleshoot the ignition system

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have just a black wire on my cdi. There is a plug with about 8 wires coming out of it . The box does say Kokusan Denki.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't see any numbers on the cdi. Would it even run on a 500's CDI? I will get a picture of the VIN.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
A lot of different models used the same ignition - with the VIN is can identify the exact year and model you have - I can tell you when it was purchased, when the warranty expired and if there were any recalls. Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, I do have power to the lights and it does turn over. It has a newer 30 amp battery that shows 13.2 volts. All battery connections are clean.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Regulator. Looks like a Chinese aftermarket. No, I didn't do the hack job installation.
It says "For Polaris Sportsman 600 2004" 0126201700.jpg

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
The 600 and 700 are covered in the same manual

The VIN reveals:
Model Name - SPORTSMAN 700
Model Year - 2002
Model Number - A02CH68AA
Purchase Date - 8/10/2002
VIN - 4XACH68A32A556751
Engine Serial Number - 0000000002098
Factory Warranty
Start Date - 8/10/2002
Expiration Date - 2/10/2003
Extended Service Contract (ESC)

None

Product Recalls
Number of Recalls: 0
Last Updated: 1/26/2020

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
It could be - test it for continuity with an ohm meter and then check it's output with a peak voltage meter or oscilloscope

1 - 20 of 37 Posts