Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All: I changed my tranny fluid last season, and she shifted like a knife through butter. I picked up some new Polaris Fluid today, and plan on doing the change this weekend. My question is, has anyone noticed any rough or hard shifting and the need to change their fluid? I wonder if it may just be low? The dealer told me to take the shift case apart and clean it out good. He told me that if water got into it at all, that rust could be causing the rough shifting. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. :AR15firing:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same problem. Your shifter gears probably need lubricating. It is a simple process. Take the nut off the side of the shifter housing that holds the shifter arm and gear indicator switch on. Carefully wiggle them until they come off. Remove the bolts holding the cover on. You'll have to tap and pry the cover off. Do this carefully and the gears will all stay in place. Spray the gears down with white lithium grease. I used CRC brand available at most parts stores. I really hosed mine down heavily. Put everything back together and work the shifter back and forth to spread the grease all around. You should be good to go.

Mine actually had two problems. It was almost impossible to shift if it was in a bind. For instance, if your machine is creeping at idle. Mine would creep uphill while in reverse. I would have to kill the machine to get it to shift. For this, I washed out the clutches with brakecleaner and then replaced the belt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How many miles are on yours? Mine is sitting on 3600. Belt had never been changed. I prepared myself for the worse and searched the web extensively. There is a good youtube video out there that shows how to remove the belt and drive clutch. It's an older gentleman working on a smaller red Sportsman. Search for polaris sportsman clutch and you should be able to find it.

I didn't remove my clutch. I just removed the belt before cleaning the clutch. Before washing it out, I pushed the clutch in with my hands and when I released it, it hung up about halfway out. There was alot of fine black dust all over my clutch. I am pretty sure it was dust from the belt. This is what was making my machine creep at idle. Make sure if you clean the clutch that you hold the clutch in and spray the brake clean with it compressed. Then work it in and out to make sure it is returning to neutral. After, I felt it was clean, I blew out the area with an air compressor, then started the engine and reved it up to sling the rest of the cleaner out and confirm that the clutch was returning to neutral.

Oh yeah, make sure you clean around the drive belt cover well before removing it. And check the seal around it before replacing it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts