Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im having a slight problem with this xplorer that i bought recently. When i bought it, the battery in it didnt work. The owner said that the electronics worked last time he had a good battery in it.

i purchased a battery and threw it in there, but nothing. Im getting power to this top post next to the battery, but not the bottom one that i have disconnected in the photo.

is this because of the 20amp breaker? its my first time owning a polaris.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
it looks like that is the starter relay..if it is it may be shot.....also get a scotch pad an clean all them cable ends...also there is one wire combined with the top battery cable that looks like some insulation is gone and has green corrosion....(could be just the picture) also clean the bullet connectors

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it could be shot, the previous owner said that the starter was iffy and would only work sometimes.

are there any good websites to buy OEM parts?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
you can get the starter relay non oem..its about 12.00 you can try a parts store like Napa..or a tractor dealer..also there is a place lots favor here for starters an related items....cant think of name.....

but you need to really clean them contacts an cables up

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can the solenoid be bypassed for the time being so that i can test to make sure the other electronics work?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
the relay does not power any thing but the starter....that wire I said may look corroded may be you feed to lights an speedo...it may be corroded in the to battery cable also where its connected the top cable..with the smaller wire going into it....

but they need cleaning BIG time

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Take all the wires off of solenoid and clean connections, check nuts under wires , clean and tighten them, do you have a multi meter? a Testlight to check for power?If PO ran it without a battery it may have blown all the light bulbs, I would also test circuit breaker in black pouch, if you need a starter B-B electric on ebay is te place.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PO didnt run it without a battery. im going to clean off the solenoid and see if i can get power to the other post.

where is the location of the black pouch? i see it on the schematic as near the solenoid, but i dont see it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just thought of something. wouldnt that bottom post only be getting power when the starter button is engaged?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
just thought of something. wouldnt that bottom post only be getting power when the starter button is engaged?
Yes it only gets power when you are trying to start it. You push the switch, it powers the solenoid that makes the contacts touch allowing power through it. You can short the two poles together to see if the starter turns over.

As for your other electrical issues I think it may come down to a dirty or faulty on off switch. It sounds like no power is going through when you turn on the key.

Make sure all connections are clean and tight and then start working your way through with a meter.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
yes..the bottom is energized when you start it....when you release the start it de engergizes..it supplies juice to the starter....the pig tail wire coming off the solenoid goes to ignition...it energizes the coil in the relay when you hit the start button...then de energizes when you release it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yup, the bottom post had no power when the button was engaged. however, i dont think the ignition itself is shot because when i have it running, i can shut it off by turning the ignition off.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
unhook the pig tail on the relay...get a test light and one end on the wire from ATV..not one on realy...ground other side...turn it on like your going to start it..that light should go on....if not you will have to trace back to see if there is a break...or check at ignition switch

1 - 14 of 14 Posts