Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 600 will run fine for a little while and then it gets a miss. It's not a constant miss. It almost sounds like 1 cylinder quits firing. The bike has a new carburetor and the updated electrical system. The electrical was done a few years. I've checked the coil and it seems to working properly. Any ideas what could be causing this?

·
Registered
143 Posts
How bad is the miss, like a backfire, or just rough running? New gas?

Is the machine hot when this occurs, I know there were some previous problems with boiling the gas in the tank because the heat shields were insufficient around the exhaust.

Fuel pump could be an issue. How long does it take before the rough running starts?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We've checked the fuel pump and know that's not the problem. The gas in new and it does it when it is started and just periodically after that. It does have a little backfire when you shut the motor off.

·
Registered
143 Posts
sounds like a carb issue to me, i know you said is was new, are the jets the right ones for the carb/machine, and have you checked to make sure needle/seat/float are not sticking anywhere?

Check the carb boot as well, the piece between the carb and the motor, to make sure there are no cracks/leaks...

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Is it ticking like a lifter is sticking, these have hydraulic lifters, try putting 2 oz of Seafoam in your oil, run it for 20 minutes then change your oil, it will free up a sticky lifter. have known people that had to replace the lifters, if that happens get lifters and push rods from an 800, they move more oil.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Mechanic says he checked the carb and it was fine. I went down and rode the bike late yesterday afternoon. There was no more miss and it felt strong. Went to pick it up today and it barely had any power. Would not rev all the way and didn't have enough power to get on the trailer but it was running smoothe. I get off the bike and we start talking about what it could be. He gets on it and it runs great. Full power and smoothe. He is now trying to figure out what is causing that. He thought the speedo sensor was shorting something out so he unplugged it and the speedo. Now the 4wd doesn't work and it's hit or miss if the engine power is there. Any suggestions on what to try now?
And I don't know if he has checked the carb boot between the carb and motor. Not sure if the power issue I'm having now would be caused by that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts