·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Michael ...........
Lot of ideas, dose the Speedometer lightup. No fuses on the main system, it's Breakers and should reset. If the Speedometer lights up they are OK.
Check this .............
I have the same problem with a 2003 Sportsman 600. Have been working on it off and on for a week now. Yours and mine are wired almost the same. Yes it could be the CDI. First and easiest test ... Check the ETC switch, it's in the box above the throttle on the right handlebar, top just pops off. Those points should be open (not touching each other) If they are, adjust the throttle cable till they stay open. Next test is to unplug the BLACK WIRE on the three wire plug (with black, yellow, and brown wires) that is connected to the CDI. Don't unplug it from the CDI, follow it up toward the handlebars about 6 inches. There is a single wire connector there, unplug that. It goes on to the red kill switch on the left handlebar. Unplug it and crank and check for spark. That will eliminate a possible kill switch malfunction. That wire also goes through the Speedometer so it will eliminate a problem with the reverse speed limiter. If you have spark then ? Test the Ignition Switch, Engine Stop/Kill Switch, and Speed Limiter for shorts to ground. Also there is a plug at the Stator/Alternator, right side of engine, make sure it's connected tight. Next would be to test the signal coming up from the Exciter Coil and the Pulse Coil to the CDI. This gets tricky, you will need a Peak Reading Volt Meter. Exciter Plug (Brown and Yellow wires should read 34 DCV). Pulse Trigger Plug(Black and Red wires) should read 3.3 DCV. This Info is on page 10.15 in the Service Manual. There are also other tests in the Manual, but I have given you the best ones I think. If you could get your hands on a Service Manual it would be a big help to you. Also the Dealer price for my CDI is $229.31 + Tax. So make sure you need it before you buy it. Usually Dealers won't take back electrical parts. Shame, because it would be easy to just get one and try it. If you have a good buddy ? With close to the same Scooter ? Check the part numbers to make sure if you do this. My part number is # 4010785 1. It's printed on the CDI, yours may be also. Good Luck, I'll check back soon to see if you post again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got it to start by taking a hard object and hitting the starter with a hammer lightly. That got it too start......all other things are working properly....looks like i need a new starter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts