Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, new to the forum.
I've got a 2003 Predator 90 that I bought for my son just before Christmas. The ATV has run very well up until this past weekend. I had replaced an old battery with a new one. After the swap, I took it for a ride, the bike started, idled and ran fine for about 5 minutes (just long enough to get warm). After it got warm its started sputtering and losing power. It would eventually quit. I didn't observe and backfiring or any pops. The bike wouldn't immediately re-start, without significant effort. I let it sit for a couple minutes while i looked over the bike. After a couple minutes, the bike fired right up and idled as normal, until it warmed back up, then the whole senerio would happen again.

I pulled out the plug and it looked fine. I also replaced the gas line and removed the gas filter to make sure it was getting gas to the carb.

This is Odd to me because this sputtering started exactly after i changed out the battery. Is this just concidence? What could be the reason it sputters when hot, but starts and run good when it's cold?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply Cookies.
I started at the gas line, i did replace the line and remove the filter, didn't help, still sputters when the engine is warm, idles and runs fine while the engine is cold??

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
from what you described is happening it seems like a fuel delivery problem to me. once the bowl empties of gas in a few minutes it dies. you let it sit for a couple minutes, gas slowly refils the bowl and it happens all over again. have you checked your float and needle valve?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, That sounds legit. I'll remove and clean the carb and check the floats. It's just weird that prior to a dead battery, it ran fine, when i changed to a new battery, immediately the ATV started acting up, must just be coincidence. Any other ideas, if it's not the carb/floats??

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having the same problem with a 2000 Sportsman 90 (I say 2000, could be a 2001 was manufactured 10/18/2000.) I get it running and it runs good while it's cold, after it warms up it stalls out and I can't get it started again unless I let it sit. I already took the carb off and cleaned it once. I didn't remove the electric choke off the first time. I'm gonna try to clean it with everything removed this time, choke and all. If you figure out something with this please post back, I'll do the same.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I know these posts are a little old. My daughters 2003 90 is experiencing the same thing. Wondering what finally worked to solve the situation???

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a similar issue and searching various forums I have found that the electric choke seems to be a problem on the models that have them.

Mine had a manual choke so I had to look further. I took the carburator out twice and missed the issue the first time. The first time I did not remove the jet seats when cleaning the carb and I think that was my problem. Since I did not clean the carb right and tried to agjust it, I must have made it worst. The second time I made sure to clean it right and spent a little more time fine tunning the air to fuel mixture and it seems to work like a champ now.

Also check for cracked rubber on the plenum connecting the carb to the head oh and when adjusting air to fuel, I found on mine, I could not adjust it right without having the air breather on....I guess the air box restriction must play a factor on these smaller motors.

Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts