Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took an 03 predator in on trade and was told it needed a wiring harness. Im in it a carb and wiring harness orded a new carb off ebay got it to run once about 30 minets never rode it was misting gas put the back of the carb. Cut it off put it in the building went to sell it wouldnt crank and was poping real loud ever so often. Put it in time now its firing in the carb and shooting fire out the carb and can hear compression hissing from inside the motor im stumped can anyone tell me what this things problem is. Before i waist a bunch of money on it

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
5,962 Posts
Your question has now been logged into the queue and the next available forum member will answer you shortly. You will be given more advice than you could hope for.

·
Registered
12,266 Posts
Only the mechanic that works on it can tell what the problems are that it has - from your sketchy description, I would guess the cam timing is off, it has possible ignition problems and it definitely has a carb problem. It may have bent valves, a bad camshaft and wiring issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I put a new carb on it. It came with diffrent jets. I believe it had jumped time once i put it back someone put the wrong bolts in the timing chain tensioner. I put it back in time to my best knowledge. Im gonna pull the head and check the valves to se if there bent.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Or could it be the woodruff key is broke and the fly wheel is out of time?

·
Registered
12,266 Posts
It could be, but a flywheel key typically only shears if the engine is stopped suddenly (by having a cylinder full of liquid) or from the flywheel being insufficiently tightened, but it's still something to check.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The fly wheel is out of wack the marks for top dead center are no where near topdead center

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It has sheered the key what size key does it use and the nut thread for the crank. The nut was destroyed and some beat the crank at some point and i need to clean the threads up with a die

·
Registered
12,266 Posts
The key is part number 3240168 - it's metric and no size is specified - just have to go to Polaris and get the right one (or two) in case you duplicate the problem.

The nut is part number 3087974 - again, no size is specified in either the parts list or service manual - you will have to determine the size with gauges and then find a die - my educated guess it is is either 12 or 14mm with a thread pitch of 1.25 tpmm. Any good machine shop should be able to tell you the size.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts