Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello ! i am new the the Polaris Forum well because i just got a 2003 500 scrambler 4x4 HO . and i had a few questions for anybody that might be able to help me. When i got this quad the person i got it from did some new not so good maintenance to it. First the front right wheel (while sitting on it ) i noticed that the main castle nut was WAY to loose. So i figured i would tighten it up. well not knowing that there is a plate with 3 tabs in there that got rounded. so ... the 4x4 is now a 3x4 . took it apart and tried to flatten the plate as best as i could. It went into AWD but now that side stays in drive. My question on that is does that plate become magnetic and suck that hilard clutch Nut looking thing with splines inside of it to create drag so the roller bearings kind of Bind in the inside of the wheel ? And also do the roller bearings with the big spring around them sit in the housing tight ? or should they be loose to the point where they will fall out if the spring was not there? EDIT-------> ! I found out that the rollers should move free inside the housing! Also if you take the spring off that it will stretch it and you'll need to replace it.

Also have a problem with a electrical power issue. Im almost positive that i had a short in the electrical system to where it kept blowing the circuit breaker in the front. so i did research to find that they can become bad with moisture. I took the plastic bag apart to find a hole in the metal casing on the circuit. so for a test i put a 20 amp fuse inline and as soon as i turned the key it blew the fuse. so... i thought maybe the fan was drawing to much current.Because it seems a bit loud. Well i put another fuse in with the fan off (witch by the way is hooked up to a toggle switch not the heat sensor at the radiator for mud or deep water ) and it blew that fuse also. So i checked every single wire from front to back to make sure there was no short. i found 3 of the 4 or 5 wires that go to the tail light slit open (inside the sheathing) like someone was gonna hook up trailer lights or something. I taped them up . and put it all back together. put a 30 amp fuse in and seems to be ok. I saw that the voltage regulator had been screwed to the plastic plate in front of the radiator My question is Should that voltage regulator be mounted to the frame ? seems to have a metal plate with 4 or 5 holes in it. Or do you know of any other places inside the motor i should look for wire shorts ? Thank you so much for reading my book of problems :gruebel:

1 - 1 of 1 Posts