Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm all new here but can see the huge amount of knowledge I am hoping to tap into. I just bought a 2003 Sportsman 600 twin that had been parked for over a year. I was told it only needed a battery. I was lucky enough to get to work on it for a bit before buying it. I tried using my battery charger first and intermittently could here the starter coil clicking, but not with every turn of the switch. So i took the swith apart to clean and see what pins were making with turning the key. It had definately gotten too hot as to being able to see melted plastic but it looked ok. Still nothing, so I use my truck and jump between the battery feed and last pin on the switch harness. As long as i have the choke out she'll crank up and run. I cannot let the choke off or it dies and i assuming i need to just clean carb after sitting that long. I've seen mention of adjusting the throttle cable vaguely on these forums but nothing to really give me details. So i think i have a switch, throttle adjustment, and possible a circuit breaker issue but i need to get key switch working before moving on. Unit had too much oil which i drained down to level and stopped smoking. All plastic good, tires 60% or so. I paid $800 and hoping I didn't make a mistake. Runs the way carb is but can tell its flooding. Gonna run some cleaner through it. Cannot get oil drain screw out as of yet to replace oil. Hope to get some help with thing. Will post some pix later. Please help

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bruce. Anyone got any help to offer in determining if my key switch is bad? Does anyone have electrical drawings for 2003 sportsman 600 twin?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Repair and maintenance section has several manuals available for free and there is a thread for purchasing them at a reasonable price. Top of page under sticky threads.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well 'm pretty excited now. After using my ohmmeter to verify the switch was working correctly not installed. I started looking at the harness where it plugs in. It had been tampered with and the 12V main power pin was not making contact with the switch. Slightly bent my pins up, lights came on, starter trying to turn over, and the speedo is working!!!!!!!! It has 2037 miles. So at this point I need a battery and clean the carb. I also did find the right plug cap separated from the wire where it plugs on top of the spark plug. That would explain the "running rough" they had when they parked it. I have it temporaried right now. Anyone have a fix for that without having to replace the entire ignition coil assembly? Or a used one for sale? I am feeling better about the $800
I paid for it now.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Great news!! Sounds like you are on your way to a great find.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
376 Posts
I too bought a 2004 600 for $500, it been a long road since april and have replaced axles, bearings, fixed eletrical and front struts/ball joints, only issue i have now is the reverse overide switch as it wouldnt change the speedo settings, but cleaning the 2 connectors under the light/kill switch have helped, I too bought a new ignition/strt switch but the connector under the light switch is the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts