Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm a 4 wheeler noob. I've posted a couple questions because mine is only going about 20 miles an hour. I tried replacing the cvt belt but that didn't help. Now im thinking it might be the driven clutch. I have a couple of noob questions.

1st of all when I rev it high in neutral should the driven clutch be opening? Mine isnt. The drive clutch closes but the driven isn't moving.
2nd, I removed the driven clutch and it doesn't pull apart by hand. Shouldn't i be able to pull it apart?
3rd Should my engine be moving much when I rev it. I can def watch the drive clutch move some left to right.

Thanks for reading, any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Doubtful you could open driven clutch easily by hand, but yes, even in neutral if you raise rpms drive clutch should close together to raise belt position while driven clutch opens to lower belt position. As for left/right movement, is it the engine moving or clutch? Engine should not move.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Are you watching the drive clutch move in and out? Thats normal, if the engine is moving you need to get that bolted back down

·
Registered
455 Posts
The secondary (driven clutch) should spread open allowing belt to ride lower between the sheaves as the driven clutch spins faster and the belt rises.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's definitely the motor moving counter clockwise a little bit. And the drive clutch closes but the driven doesn't open at all at least while I rev it high in nutreul. I guess I need to start with checking the motor mounts.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Take a black magic marker and make a line on the clutch face from the the inside to the out side on both clutches and go ride it for a bit. The belt will ware the marker off and you can see how far they are opening.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Have you checked the buttons inside the secondary? When they're busted it will make it so it only goes about 20 at full throttle.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Take a black magic marker and make a line on the clutch face from the the inside to the out side on both clutches and go ride it for a bit. The belt will ware the marker off and you can see how far they are opening.
Good idea. But I'm guessing if the engine is able to move that much, it's moving instead of the belt pulling down into the driven clutch.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The secondary will not open in neutral very far. It is a load sensing system and requires torque feedback from the driveline to make it shift. As mentioned, your buttons in the secondary are likely worn out and need to be replaced. About $30 and 20 min to change them.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
well thank goodness for that!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.