Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone .I am not new to Polarisand have had many a grand experience.northeast Missouri native and started riding sleds in the early eighties.1972 Roll-O-Flex GTSS(292 yamaha alum. tunnel, pararail suspension,
'82 Yamaha Bravo 250 for the wife.1976 Polaris Electra Widetrack 340,1975 TX440,1998 XLTSpecial 600 High Output,2000 Sport Touring 550.1994(trail boss) Sport 400(Pipe clutch reed valves and spacer chain idler,very very fast),2003 Trailblazer 250,2003Trailblazer 400 both bought new.2002 700 Sportsman lift,wheel spacers,High lifter outlaw clutch kit,26x12x12 x 4 6 ply tires,Pit Bull winch,Polaris front bumper,monster.I do all my own work and have been a wrench all my life.Folks own and still run an auto repair shop and parts store in a small town so yes you do work on everything.USMC Heavy truck mechanic six yrs,McKenzie Garage and Auto seven yrs auto glass and residential and commercial including heavy construction equipment and Parts and service tech at Northern tool and Equipment.
OKAY now that we have met to the problem at hand.Now i have had a similar situation with my 700 Packed the radiator dried mud ended up with a mechanical water pump seal in it.And it was I believe acting like this 500 I am working on for a former co-worker.Initially he brought it to me and said his brothers had been addin coolant every time they used it.They also had the fan wired direct,on with the ignition switch.After doing a little research and
seeing that a 500 is not like the 700 and the water pump requires the cases to be split and pullers and so forth and so on.I just purchased a replacement 500 motor.put it in and it run fine a couple trips around the yard.It did run a little warm or hot trying to work the air out it.After it had set, another day run it and it ran fine with no signs of overheating or belching out of the radiator.The overflow dripped some which I viewed as normal.I checked power to the radiator sensor and had power to it but nothing from it so I hooked it up direct again and didn't really run it much at all with the cap off
and could see that the water pump was moving coolant thru the system as i continued to top it off.It leveled off and seemed fine.Ordered a radiator sensor.A couple days later i noticed a large puddle under the thing of coolant,coming out of the overflow reservoir.So I started it up it run fine and immediately cracked the radiator cap and revved it and this this thing threw a gusher out of the top of the radiator a mile high and continued to act as if it was cylinder pressure in the cooling system just blowing the coolant out of the filler .Anybody have any guess or experience this way?I am thinking either the thermostat is stuck open or th head gasket is leaking cylinder pressure into the coolant system although the engine oil is as clean as when i had just changed it after the swap.??????????????Water pump seal ,head gasket,cracked head ,stuck thermostat any ideas.This thing is Realluy trying my patience.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts