Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2003 500 Sportsman. Overall the bike is in good shape, just a few minor issues.

The speedometer isn't working, no lights, needle doesn't move, nothing in the display. Am I to assume the speedometer is dead, or is there something I can check?

Another question is regarding vibration in the front end. It seems to come up through the handlebars and quite noticeable. I had 2 tie rod ends quite loose and replaced those. The bearings were fairly wore on both tires, so I did those as well.

Any suggestions to check for the vibration.

Thanks in advance:)

· Administrator
20,484 Posts
Obviously the speedo is dead, but is it due to a loss of power, ground or an internal fault. Fix may be as simple as unplugging the wiring connector and reconnecting it.

Vibration? Sounds normal to me.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Obviously the speedo is dead, but is it due to a loss of power, ground or an internal fault. Fix may be as simple as unplugging the wiring connector and reconnecting it.

Vibration? Sounds normal to me.
Question- Should there be power coming to the speedometer through the harness? I can't seem to detect a live line. I am also assuming there would be a ground in the harness.

I have unplugged it and put it back together, so that didn't seem to help.

· Administrator
20,484 Posts
That is not the wiring of a 2003 500 - that is the wiring of a 2002 model and that chages everything - now only the red/wht has 12 v with the key and handlebar switches in the run position - brn is ground - the three wire plug is the Hall effect sensor on the RH front wheek to provide a square wave voltage for the speedo to decode into a speed indication.

Product Rectangle Font Slope Parallel

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is not the wiring of a 2003 500 - that is the wiring of a 2002 model and that chages everything - now only the red/wht has 12 v with the key and handlebar switches in the run position - brn is ground - the three wire plug is the Hall effect sensor on the RH front wheek to provide a square wave voltage for the speedo to decode into a speed indication.

View attachment 165648
Any chance you can explain this. There was no power on the red/white at the speedometer. So, I dug deeper, finding 3 wires on the speedometer harness cut. The brown/brown-white are hooked together and the red-white was out of the harness completely and hooked to a gray-white going back into the bike.

What would be the reason for doing this?
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Steering wheel

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Purple Motor vehicle

Hood Automotive tire Steering wheel Wood Motor vehicle

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's a monkey's way of fixing AWD, but why the red/wht was cut I can't explain
Okay, that makes sense. So, I am assuming the speedometer wasn't working and this was a workaround.

What does the gray/white wire go to that they connected to the red/white wire?

If I find a working speedometer and wire everything up correctly, everything should work as normal?

Do you have a wire schematic for this bike, I can't find one online?

· Administrator
20,484 Posts
Gry/wht feeds 12v to the AWD switch so tying it to red/wht supplies power bypassing the transmission switch - tying brown white to brown bypasses the speedometer control of the AWD ground and grounds the AWD coils 24/7.

There may not be anything wrong with the speedo, but the monkey working on it was not smart enough to figure out the transmission switch was the problem, or the speedo failed and he fixed it with the bypass.

· Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
16,742 Posts
Hook up all the wires back up to the speedometer like they should be and try it.

Reactions: latebird
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.