Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced the starter on my '03 polaris sportsman 500. To be upfront I got the starter online for $37. Put it on and still wouldn't start with the key. None of the lights came on with the key so I assumed I needed a new battery as well. Oh well, I could stand to pull start for another weekend. We ride around all night park it and take it out next morning no problem. After a while of riding I try the key again just to see. Acted like it wanted to turn over for a second but then nothing. This time I go to pull start it and it sounds like there is a winding noise, as if the starter may be stuck. I looked at the starter and the two screws holding it in had backed out slightly and so had the starter. Towed it back to the house, tightened everything up and still the same result when pull starting. I could get it to start still but the winding sound would continue so out of fear for breaking something serious I shit it off right away. Any ideas for a fix? Did I just "get what I paid for"? Anyone else ever see this issue?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts